Baitcast bearings

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassGeek54

Reaction score
Hey guys...looking to get some opinions on bearings. Are SS or ceramic better? I like tinkering with my reels and I am thinking of upgrading the bearings in a few of them.

Thanks for the thoughts.

i use ceramics on my casting reels for no reason except they are the "in" thing. others swear by the smoothness of ceramics, but i don't see or feel much difference in performance if used on the same reel. get bearings with one side sealed and the other face open so you can clean and lube with ease.

i only use steel on my big reels because i've heard ceramics can crack under heavy load. i never actually witnessed it happen, but i don't want to find out the wrong way.

I put ceramic bearings on both my scorpions. Smoother......yes! Worth it?.....not sure. I bet if you remove the bearings, clean them in lighter fluid, let them air dry then add a drop of hot sauce or other high end oil you will notice a world of difference.

Hey Jim...Scorpions, very nice.

I was thinking that maybe some of my less expensive reels that I really like might get a few more yards...plus I just like to tinker with my gear. Didn't know about the lighter fluid -- I am always learing great stuff from you guys.