Baitcasting eBAy Impulse buy. A good deal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bearsphan3.14 said:
FishyItch said:
They haven't arrived yet, but when they do I might have to do some practicing in the snowing parking lot behind my apartment building. I just need to get my hands on some practice casting plugs.
When I got my first baitcaster (last year), I just tied on a 3/8oz. weight. I tossed it around in my backyard. At first just trying not to have any over runs, then working on my accuracy. You'll have your rig dialed in and mastered by spring.

You could also just remove the hooks from a crankbait for practice.

FishyItch said:
It sounds like a lot of your are suggesting waiting for spring sales. I think I'd like to have at least one nice baitcaster in the boat. These others will probably be serviceable though. They haven't arrived yet, but when they do I might have to do some practicing in the snowing parking lot behind my apartment building. I just need to get my hands on some practice casting plugs.

When you do look for sales look at the Revo line up, Pflueger Patriarch, Shimano Citica E, or Curado D, BPS Pro qualifier and higher end series.

You can't go wrong with those reels. Shimano seems to go on sale the least often.

LonLB said:
When you do look for sales look at the Revo line up, Pflueger Patriarch, Shimano Citica E, or Curado D, BPS Pro qualifier and higher end series
I have nothing but great things to say about Revos. I bought the Revo S last year and I can throw anything in my tackle box with it. It took me a few hours of practice and I was off and running. I like it so much, I recently picked up a Revo STX.

bearsphan3.14 said:
LonLB said:
When you do look for sales look at the Revo line up, Pflueger Patriarch, Shimano Citica E, or Curado D, BPS Pro qualifier and higher end series
I have nothing but great things to say about Revos. I bought the Revo S last year and I can throw anything in my tackle box with it. It took me a few hours of practice and I was off and running. I like it so much, I recently picked up a Revo STX.

They are my favorite line also. They are great out of the box, and you can modify them to your liking also.
Both appearance and performance. If your a tinkerer.

I love my STX, got it last spring with 2 BPS Extreme reels. All I wan't now is Revo's. I just got the new BPS Spring catalog, and they have some good looking new reels. But my Revo just won't let me buy anything else now.

Still waiting on the reels to show up. Apparently the sender was in the hospital or something, but he's okay now...so that's good.

But in the mean time I was practicing casting with my baitcaster that has just been collecting dust for the past 8 years. It's a Quantum Lite QL50. I think it was part of a combo I bought a long way back for about $40 at a Wal-Mart. A lot of you guys suggested starting with heavier baits so I tied on about 1 ounce of weight, and WHOA what a difference. I think when I first bought it I was trying to throw lures of about 1/4 ounce. I always backlashed and just put the reel in the closet until now.

After a little bit of practice I was throwing that ounce for what seemed like forever into my parents snowy back yard, and that was with the brake cranked all the way down that I hardly needed my thumb at all. My guess is with lighter lures I'll need to loosen up that brake and get my thumb trained a little. It's a wonder what a few years and a different approach will do. I can't wait for those reels to get here and try them out. I'm back in my apartment now after visiting my folks for the weekend, but I made sure to bring a rod so I can try them out when they arrive.

Below is an image of a reel very similar to the quantum I bought as a teenager and gave up on. As a matter of fact, the scratches are almost identical too!

Attachments

• QL50A1.jpg
    QL50A1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,062
Majorpede said:
I love my STX, got it last spring with 2 BPS Extreme reels. All I wan't now is Revo's. I just got the new BPS Spring catalog, and they have some good looking new reels. But my Revo just won't let me buy anything else now.
+1 .....EXACTLY! I can't buy anything else other than more STX.

This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

I have worked on a lot of PQ's and a lot of revos and i must tell you, I'm just not convinced that there is enough differnce to justify the price difference, unless you go up to the premier to get the lighter weight. I have a lot of STX revo/s and i love them, but i got them at a very good price or i would have gotten PQ's I also now have 2 of the Curado E 50 reels. After tuning and bearing upgrades, these are awesome for light baits and can still be used for any regular sized bait. I hate shimano's drag washers and i replace those with carbontex. If I was going to buy more shimano reels, i would get the E%, E7 or E 50 curados from ohya. Don't get a G series reel, you will be dissapointed. If you want a full sized E curado but want it in the 6.4 ratio, you can get gear sets to do that and along with a tuning it's very affordable and would still be cheaper than buying the new Chronarch that comes in those ratios but is still just a white curado E

As much as I’ve tweaked and played with brake and spool-spin settings, different types of line and line weight...I’ve just never been able to cast with a baitcaster. Lol

I have three, decent quality I assume, and absolutely love them. I just use them for trolling. I gave up trying to cast with them and cutting out line (knots).

Oh well...I envy guys and girls that can cast. :)

AnglerRoy said:
As much as I’ve tweaked and played with brake and spool-spin settings, different types of line and line weight...I’ve just never been able to cast with a baitcaster. Lol

I have three, decent quality I assume, and absolutely love them. I just use them for trolling. I gave up trying to cast with them and cutting out line (knots).

As Michael Iaconelli says...NEVER GIVE UP!

It will come. It did for me so it can for you.

fender66 said:
AnglerRoy said:

But then I wouldn’t have an excuse for having so many rods/reels of different types!

AnglerRoy said:
fender66 said:
AnglerRoy said:

But then I wouldn’t have an excuse for having so many rods/reels of different types!

Sure you can. I just have more of everything. :roll:

Yeendo said:
This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.

I have worked on a lot of PQ's and a lot of revos and i must tell you, I'm just not convinced that there is enough differnce to justify the price difference, unless you go up to the premier to get the lighter weight. I have a lot of STX revo/s and i love them, but i got them at a very good price or i would have gotten PQ's I also now have 2 of the Curado E 50 reels. After tuning and bearing upgrades, these are awesome for light baits and can still be used for any regular sized bait. I hate shimano's drag washers and i replace those with carbontex. If I was going to buy more shimano reels, i would get the E%, E7 or E 50 curados from ohya. Don't get a G series reel, you will be dissapointed. If you want a full sized E curado but want it in the 6.4 ratio, you can get gear sets to do that and along with a tuning it's very affordable and would still be cheaper than buying the new Chronarch that comes in those ratios but is still just a white curado E

As an owner of Chronarch E and Curado E and G reels, I don't understand why the G's get so much hate. They're good reels. What about them would disappoint someone? Yes, they do utilize some cheaper materials than the E series, but that was to meet the $159.99 price point. My personal feeling is that the way Shimano marketed the reels was the problem. The Chronarch E should have been the Curado G and the current G should have been marketed under another name. But if that happened, then people would have liked the current G for what it is and bashed the Curados(Chronarch E) for getting too expensive with the 25% price hike.

AnglerRoy said:

You weren't specific on your three reels, so I don't want to step on your toes on your decent quality comment.
A few months ago, I picked up a house brand at a discounter that felt smooth in the package, and looked pretty well built. Certainly didn't require a loan to buy, if you know what I mean. Brought it home, spooled it up, and gave it a drive. Tried different weights, tensions, stood on my head, etc., and couldn't get a decent cast without "professional overrun". Got my regulars out just to make sure I wasn't off that day, but that wasn't it. Removed the line, repackaged it, and returned.
Just sayin', maybe it is not you.