Barbequein' deer meat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckybassman

Reaction score
Thought about puttin' some deer on the grill but that's the one thing that I have not tried yet on the gas grill.
Any good recipes? Or maybe a few suggestions on pre soaking or breading etc.?

I like to coat a backstrap in course pepper and olive oil. Cook med rare and cut in thin slices. Add a bun and some bbq'd sauce makes a good sammich

BBQ venison can be very yummy. I like to marinate it in some type of teriyaki sauce....we like Yoshidas for a few minutes before you throw it on the grill. I think the biggest trick is to not overcook it.

I've been a big fan of keeping it simple lately.

If I'm in the mood for bbq sauce ill cook it for a little, spread the sauce on, and up the heat to char it ever so slightly. Something about a little bit of char on bbq sauce makes it awesome.

I've also done the usual marinade in italian dressing. Always turns out good.

My personal favorite. Slice back straps or whatever cut into thin 1/4 or less strips. Marinade teriaki and a little garlic. While meat is soaking start a ground fire and get a couple beers and a few buddies. Stack a few bricks next to the fire with a grate on them. When you get a nice bed of coals shovel some under the grate and lay on the meat. There is not a better way to eat deer by itself than real wood cooking. And you get to sit around the fire and tell fishing fibs.

Marinate it overnight in a 50/50 mix of Worchestershire and soy sauce. Add onion powder and garlic if desired.

I always wanted to try this one with deer, but I haven't yet. I use this mostly on regular steaks.

*Meat of your choice
*Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*Kosher Salt
*Cumins

Drench the steak in Extra Virgin Olive Oil for about 45 min.

Sprinkle with Kosher Salt, both sides. (If you have a strip of fat around the outside edge, add a little extra Kosher Salt to that as well)

Sprinkle some Cumins all over, add to your flavor.

Get the grill good and hot for about 10 min., throw the steaks on and let it sear each side about 4 min, flip and do the same to other side.
Turn grill down to medium or so and flip every few minutes. Go until its the way you like it.

Very Very good flavor and very mouth watering, cant stop eating until its gone.

This reminds me how hungry I am right now. LOL Enjoy.

kentuckybassman said:
Thought about puttin' some deer on the grill but that's the one thing that I have not tried yet on the gas grill.
Any good recipes? Or maybe a few suggestions on pre soaking or breading etc.?

You can cube it and put it onto squewrs with onions, potatos, and whatever else you like and soak overnight in SANGRIA! thats right sangria even add a can of Guava Nector to it too it gives the BEST flavor in the world!

or cut into medallions and soak overnight in lemonjuice and lipton onion soup mix as a wet rub then slow grill it ( both recipies... Make your tounge slap your brains out! YUMMIE)

From here

In general, furred game has a low fat content, with the exception of wild pig. It is therefore necessary, when cooking large pieces of meat, to use one of the larding techniques shown to prevent the meat drying out during the cooking process. A special larding needle, called a lardoine, is used for these techniques.

Surface larding
Cut thin strips of pork back fat and use the lardoine to thread the strips of fat through the meat, just below the surface.

Larding
Cut long, thin strips of pork back fat and and use the lardoine to thread the strips of fat through the whole piece of meat, following the grain.

Barding
Like game meat, game birds tend to be low in fat. Barding is a technique used to stop them drying out during cooking.

Cut thin strips of pork fat and cover the entire breast of the bird, securing with twine.

Love deer meet...but I'm not a hunter. Hmmmm.....there's a problem here. Wonder if my wife will let me start a new hobby? I'm guessing NOT! I better quit while I'm ahead on my fishing anyway.

Did the barding techniche with bacon and a venison roast once. It would have been delicious if i hadn't overcooked it. The lesser cooked pieces were awesome.

Not BBQ...but one of my favorite ways of cooking deer tenderloin is to cut it into thisn strips (1/4" or less). Bread it and pan fry it in a little bit of oil.

Then fry up some homemade french fries or chips.

Put a little soy sauce on the strips and enjoy!

Latest posts