Bassboy (or anyone who knows) ? on starter -New question)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimeTime

Reaction score
OK....I bench-tested starter. On the 2 or 3rd spin, the bearings (bushings) were obviously dry which is causing the "growling" noise, and preventing the starter from spinning freely & up to speed. Everything including brushes looked to be in very good shape, and there's no play in the bearings (bronze bushings).

My question is, can these be lubricated, or should I just replace them? I put a couple drops of 3&1 oil on them just to see if it'd help, reassembled the starter & energized it several times, and it worked fine. Don't they just give these bronze bushing an oil bath & install them? I'm not opposed to spending a few bucks for new bearings if needed, but at the same time don't want to replace them if it isn't required.

Thanks!
ST

I prefer to put a little molybdenum grease or white lithium on the ends of the shaft before inserting it. Has worked great for nearly 30 years of rebuilding automotive and forklift starters. Seems to stay longer than oil.

Thanks Phased! I'm gonna do that & get the motor back together tomorrow.....appriciate the advice!

ST

I've got an additional about the bendix drive off this starter. If I hold the nut on the underside (which is the worm drive for the shaft) and the drive gear on top, I can twist them in opposite directions with little effort. Shouldn't this be more of a nn-movement since it's what couples the started motor to the flywheel?? I don't want to put it back on, only to have to remove it again.

I've got the starter lubed & back together, but need to find-out about this before going further.

Thanks!

ST

Here's what I'm talking about on the bendix...
bendix.jpg

slimetime, all the starters I have worked on (albeit non-boat) the drive is actually a one way clutch. You should be able to turn it one direction but not the other. If it turns both it would be bad. With the starting problem you had if it were my starter I would go ahead and replace the drive. I will not say that the dry bushings can not cause the noise you heard but to be dry enough to slow the armature to the point as to not turn is an iffy.
Just my opinion.

Be sure and put a little lube on the spiral cuts and on the shaft where the drive bushing runs when reassembling.

OK, I'll have to double-check, not sure if I tried it both ways. I'm sure the bearings were a problem, since I spun it over (under power) on the bench....sounded just like it did on the boat when it wouldn't start. Will do (actually already had) on the lube for the drive.

Thanks a million, again :wink:

ST