Bearing Grease seal, spindle - should there be a gap?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your shaft measures 1.23 but there appears to be a .0625" gap, something is definitely wrong. I suspect that groove is your culprit. It doesn't take long to cut one if grit gets in the seal.

I don't know that I've ever owned a trailer with a pressed on bushing for the seal to ride on like yours has. I wonder it it hasn't been worked on before for the same issue?

It would be a .01" gap radially but you said it was 1/16" originally. I was confused (which doesn't take a lot sometimes). :lol:

Is it measuring 1.23 in the groove or out there on the smooth part of the bushing?

Wait now Im confused...there isn't supposed to be a gap from what everyone is saying...but you now say there should be...

(the 1/16" was a guess because I didnt have a dial caliper at the time)

I thought it was supposed to be snug to the seat...

Well, I ran by my buddy's house because he has my old boat. I measured the spindle on that one and lo and behold, its 1.25. SO at this point, I betting all my marbles I need a new axle/spindles.

After all this drama, it has to be the problem. Probably was machined incorrectly or something. I dont know. I hope this solves my problem before I get locked in a mental ward.

Will post and update once the new axle is obtained.

Interesting problem. When I changed my wheel bearings last fall, I do recall seeing on the bearing kit package saying the seal was for 1" & 1 -1/16" wheel bearings. I'm not sure this is always the case for wheel bearing kits? Did you happen to notice this on your wheel bearing kit package?

Go to a parts store in person, they should be able to get any sized seal.

Mic the groove best you can and get a seal .001-.002 smaller depending on how deep you think the groove is.

Oil the lip of the seal and make sure its a good snug fit on the spindle before installing it in the hub.

It could be a bad machine job but id try another set of seals before spending the cash on a new axle

KingDarius said:
Wait now Im confused...there isn't supposed to be a gap from what everyone is saying...but you now say there should be...

(the 1/16" was a guess because I didnt have a dial caliper at the time)

I thought it was supposed to be snug to the seat...

It is supposed to be snug. You have a .01 radial gap if it is a 1.25 seal and 1.23 sleeve.

Is the entire sleeve/bushing 1.23 or just right there where the seal rides?

its is 1.23" only where the seal rides...

Is there maybe a bushing or something i can get to slide over the area to bring it up to 1.25"?

...new trailer axle is $100 of unaffordability...

Thanks Loggerhead.

The problem that I am having is that BOTH NAPA and Autozone tell me I need a part number for them to even look up a seal. Thats where I run into a roadblock and dont know where else to go...

And I've spend literally hours on the internet trying to find something that will fit the 1.23" with 1.98" bore.

PROBLEM SOLVED (i hope...)

I went to a different NAPA. Spoke to another guy who was helppful as all get out. Found a seal - 12165 with an ID of 1.219. Its a tight fit, but it seems to be the one.

Thank you everyone so much. Such an ordeal I am glad its finally over.

Lessons learned:
1. There should be no gap between the seal seat and the seal.
2. No water should be getting into the hubs. And no grease should be spraying about.
3. There is a seal for even weird diameters.
4. The internet, while useful, is exceptionally frustrating to find "hard to find" parts.
5. If one NAPA tells you they cant find your seal without a number, try another NAPA. Dont bother with Autozone as I went to two of them and they didnt/couldnt help.

Thanks again you guys. Youre help kept me sane and I learned alot. Time to hit the water.

Cheers!!!

Good deal.

Napa is good around here at looking up things per the reference book. Sounds like you got a lazy employee the first time.

Glad to hear you got the problem solved. Man, what a monkey-f***!!

I've never heard of that kind of difficulty locating a bearing seal for a trailer hub.

If you ever run into any more oddball problems like that, try a company called "Expediter"

They carry all kinds of trailer parts, if they make it, these folks have it!

Yes, what a nightmare. I plan to head back to that NAPA to have a chat with the manager. That guy cost me hours of agony and almost >150 bucks for a new axle that I didnt need. I cant imagine what he may have cost other people who know even less than I do about things. Not cool.

Thanks again fellers. Today was a really good day.

Latest posts