Beat up 1448 jon into a bowfishing machine

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you water seal the wood? You did a truly amazing job! Thanks for sharing, and I thought that bow fisher rigs had a railing to lean on? Aren't you afraid of falling off!

Also, do you eat those fish?! Throw them away? Make bait of them? I know they are considered nuisance fish, but just curious!

bassboy1 said:
Nice woodworking. Dad has always been a woodworker, so before I learned to play with metal, I used to mess with wood, and I do have to say, that takes a lot of work to reach that. I never had the patience for fine woodworking.

Do you have any fore and aft rocking, as all of your triangulation is transverse?

Am I the only one who has a REALLY hard time believing a 15 year old is so knowledgeable and well spoken?! :shock: :lol: I'd love to meet you someday, for I do think you're the Doogie Howser of boats!

Thanks alot Preach.

I sealed the wood with 4 coats of spar-varnish with a U.V. inhibitor, to help protect it against the sun, and water of course. I'll clean it up and add another coat every spring, and that's all I should have to do to it, unless it gets a ding in it.

We don't eat the carp, but we do eat some of the gar. They have a 'tenderloin', for lack of a better description, down the back on both sides. It's very good eating. It has the texture of lobster, but it tastes like perch or crappie; nice clean mild tasting fish. The trick is cleaning them and preparing them for the frying pan. You can't soak gar-meat in water like other fish; you have to cool it by setting it on ice as soon as you clean them, and you need a pair of tin-snips to clean them. They have boney scales and thick, tough skin that you have to cut through. Very well-worth the effort tho!

The carp are mostly used for fertilizer. It's not uncommon for us to shoot a few dozen of them in a few hours, and frankly I don't eat that much fish in a year! But they are very hard to make tasty. We usually dump them on a farmer's land that LOVES them as fertilizer, so they're not wasted. Alot of people don't care for the fact that they're not eaten, but there's too many of them in our water-ways because other fish don't eat alot of them either. We just try to get as many of them out of the water as we can, and bowfishing is the best way to do that, short of netting them. The DNR here in Illinois has contacted our club several times over the past 3 years to help them 'clean up' a few different lakes in the state. It's cost-effective for the state and it's enjoyable to us, so we do what we can. The boat was a great means-to-an-end here. Plus, it looks good on the water. ;) I'm really glad you guys like it.

I've got no problem with the fact you don't eat them, I've heard they are very involved to make them good, but I suppose the Chinese would disagree :lol: . They are considered an invasive species, and considering they produce 1 million eggs per pound they weigh each year.... I don't suppose you're really gonna wipe them out anytime soon. I'd love to shoot some myself

baptistpreach said:
I've got no problem with the fact you don't eat them, I've heard they are very involved to make them good, but I suppose the Chinese would disagree :lol: . They are considered an invasive species, and considering they produce 1 million eggs per pound they weigh each year.... I don't suppose you're really gonna wipe them out anytime soon. I'd love to shoot some myself

I HIGHLY recommend you give it a try. The first night my buddy and I went out on his boat, we shot 83, and that was in about 4 1/2 hours. And we missed ALOT.

Go catch some on a rod and reel - they are some of the best fighting fish around

And where else can you consistently catch fish that size

Alot of people don't care for the fact that they're not eaten, but there's too many of them in our water-ways because other fish don't eat alot of them either

those people are weenies. i wish some bowfishers would come up to our local river and shoot some. you'll be wading down the river and a gaint carp will be swimming rite next to your legs. they havent been helping the smallmouth bass and native trout population to say the least. , wich our river is known for.

May I ask What lake you took all those fish at my son is dying to bow fish. He has a mission menace with ams reel just looking for a spot.

AWESOME!!! =D> =D> =D> . You turned a pc of scrap into something really nice. Fantastic workmanship, great to see the Younger generation is every bit as dedicated to their craft as past ones were. Keep up the good work. Nice job on the rough fish!

Man that is some seriously nice looking wood work, I used to be a carpenter for about 8 years putting myself through undergrad and have to say nice job man, that's real sharp! =D> Are you all done with her or any more plans for the boat?