Big Comfort and Martin Lake in Minnesota

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breachless

Reaction score
I went out last weekend for the opener here in Minnesota with a buddy of mine. We started out on Big Comfort, which is a beautiful little lake near where I live in Wyoming. My buddy got a few really nice bass (of course, bass season doesn't open for another 2 weeks) and saw two nice muskies lumbering around in the shallows that were not interested in the least in what we were throwing in front of them. One of them was an easy 40+ incher. Other than that, absolutely nothing all morning long. At least the weather was nice...

Then we headed up to Martin Lake with some leaches with the ol' Lindy Rigs and tried to snag some Walleye. Nothing. Absolutely abysmal fishing.

Luckily my buddy is a bit crazy (and always prepared!) and noticed the carp were hanging out near the surface, so he busted out his bowfishing rig and snagged a few BIG carp. It was pretty cool: I have never tried bowfishing before, but I think I may just start now. Easily the most fun I have had on the lake in a long time. It's just too bad carp are lousy for eating, but then again, I doubt it would be legal to hunt them if they were... It was funny: there were a couple of old-timers sitting out on their dock cheering us on for thinning the population of "those damned garbage fish".

Anyway, if any of you have ever been on the fence about bowfishing, I highly recommend it. A cheap recurve, a special arrow and a decent reel for your bow is all you need, and it's great for those days when nothing else is biting. It can make an otherwise boring fishing trip into a rather exciting one...

Latest posts