Boat Buying Advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeRauch

Reaction score
So in the next year I'll be gearing up to buy a new used boat. I've been looking around and I've come across two options for myself. Keep in mind my budget is $6,000 to $8,000 dollars. One option is buying a fiberglass boat that is 1990's model or older. The other option is buying a new to lightly used aluminum Bass Tracker-like boat. Has anyone had good/bad experiences buying older fiberglass boats. I'm mostly concerned about the motor being in good condition because I'm no mechanic. The aluminum bass boats seem like a great deal too. I appreciate any input!

Just my opinion, but for $6-$8K you should be able to get a fiberglass boat closer to 2000 rather than 1990.

For the decision, I would base it more off of where you fish and what you can deal with. The aluminum boats are lighter and will be easier to get in and out of some of the smaller and poor condition ramps. The fiberglass boats will be wider and more stable, but much heavier. They will give you a much smoother and faster ride than the aluminums and will be better suited to larger lakes and open water.

I tend to run many of the local, smaller ponds, so my '89 17ft Tracker works great. There are times when I wish it was a bit wider and more stable, especially when the kids are on it with me, but I love the fact that I can drop it in nearly any where, even on dirt ramps with no problems.

Can't make the decision for you, but I hope the information helps!