boat data plate hp vs wt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIZZYSPOTS

Reaction score
When a hp limit is noted on a boats data plate...is it based on the estimated weight of a specified hp? Example: Johnson 20hp at 115 lbs ? as a portion of the total gross of the boat If you did the 20-30 hp upgrade (no change in weight) how would that effect the boat...

I am sure weight of the outboard has something to do with it. A boat with a 20hp limit would not hold a 115hp outboard on it not to mention it would not be able to handle the force of the motor either. Transoms that are designed for larger motors are better built and designed so as to handle the weight and HP.

The issue I see you having with the extra HP is the boat possibly porpoising and the boat may hard to handle with that much power on a small boat. I was running my 14ft boat into 30mph winds at WOT the other day and the wind literally pushed my bow around when it gusted. It was a little sketchy to be honest. When you have that much HP on a small boat and you make an evasive maneuver bad things can happen. I used to be able to make a really sharp turn at WOT when I had my 15hp on the boat but with the 30hp I don't think I am even going to try that at 30mph or close to it. Remember if you are running at WOT and that tiller comes out of your hand people can be thrown over board at speeds like that. Just be careful Dizzy :)

that was exactly the answer that i was looking for...even at lower speeds, when the steering friction isnt snug..its a bit spooky to find yourself running in a circle ( i speak of trolling and finding yourself headed back toward your line, as you mess with something in the boat...

The bigger HP motor will keep more of your boat out of the water on plane which in turn leads to less traction on the water. Making the boat feel loose.

They base the HP rating on the amount of weight that will be hanging off the transom, as well as the amount of torque that it will put on the transom structure of the vessel.

My DuraCraft is rated for a 50 HP outboard, but I have a 160 HP MR-1 inboard engine in it, with no ill effect. But that's because the weight is forward, it's not hanging off the transom. Bet if I tried to put a 150 outboard on the boat, I'd only hit the throttle once and live to tell about it, LOL

Here's a funny story about over-powering a boat: Several years ago, my girlfriend had a 12 foot Tracker johnboat, rated for a 6 HP engine. We had a 15 HP Yamaha on there. When you would hit the throttle, the boat would get squirrelly, it was almost scary to operate. Let's put it this way, I wouldn't hold it at full throttle for more than a second or two, then I'd get nervous and back it down.

One good thing about it was that a thief would only steal it one time....LMAO
She kept the boat tied up at the dock behind the restaurant. Well, she goes down there one morning, and the boat is tied up at the dock, but not like she left it. It's got several inches of water in there, along with being covered with creek mud, and a lot of blood.

She reported it to the sheriff's dept, in case someone had gotten severely injured or killed out there (and if they did, it would have served them right, as far as I'm concerned)

I can pretty much surmise what happened. The would-be thief got in the boat, probably during low tide.

One of 3 things happened......

Either they hit the throttle, and the boat got squirrelly, then chine-walked, and flung them out onto an oyster rock....

Or, they were running along, and let go of the tiller for just a second to open their beer or light their crack rock, whatever, and the tiller locked in the corner, and flung them out onto an oyster bed....

Or, they were unfamiliar with the creek at night, at low tide, and they simply ran aground and got flung out, or they had to get out with bare feet like an idiot and tried to push the boat off the oyster bed.

I'm thinking option 1 or 2 is more likely.

In any case, the thief returned the boat to where they stole it, and they likely went home to lick their wounds, and dig pieces of oyster shell out of their cuts. Nothing like instant karma for a common thief. That's pretty bad, when a thief takes enough of a beating, they actually return what they stole, regretting that they ever decided to steal it to begin with. That's better than ANY security system...LMAO =D>

Latest posts