bow mount TM loose

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbaffaro

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a Bass Tracker 185, but the TM that is currently mounted to the front is very loose. The screws turn both ways with nothing happening going either direction. It looks to be the isolators that most TM are mounted with. Any good suggestions?

I've read a lot here, just haven't posted much. Thanks!

That's not good.

It's either mounted with rubber isolators that have ruptured or rivnuts that have let loose. Either way, you are going to have to replace those isolators.

I had the factory rivnuts pull through the hull on me one day last year and the rubber isolators that the dealer replaced them with ruptured on the second trip out. I have a hodge podge of remedies holding my tm down now. So far, so good.

I'll probably try some plusnuts next time (if I can get my hands on some).

Just a thought, but if the 185 is like the 175 I had, you should be able to remove the panel on the front deck, the one that contains the tm receptacle, trim switch, etc. and reach under the bow deck and check the nuts or isolator bolts that were used.

It does seem like it comes off. I can't remember off hand. Will have to give it a look at some point.

I think I found what your looking for with the plusnuts
https://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-rivet-nuts/=nlqik

Those look to be about the same thing

Those are close to the rivnuts and what were originally in my boat.

The plusnuts are something on that order but more like a hollow wall anchor that makes petals when it is compressed.

Plusnuts on E-Bay

I'd be willing to go half on these. Don't know if you were looking for 5/16 or not, but these would work for me.

Or if anyone else would like to buy them they are .30 a piece. I'm sure we could work something out.

I went and checked, the front deck does not come off. it is welded. I think that i am just going to drill the heads off of the screws then more the TM mount then go from there with it.

Those look to be carbon steel. You don't want carbon steel.

You will either want aluminum or stainless.

They are also "prebulbed" meaning the hole size needed to install them will have to be drilled larger, losing grip and bearing area for the head. I'm not sure what the purpose of them being partially expanded already would be.

Well you have sent me on a internet hunting party for these plusnuts.

They are very very difficult to find. However I have found them. But the only place that I can find that sells them as a $50.00 mininum order. But at $3.80 (1/4-20 Stainless Steel) each it doesn't take long to reach that mark. However, the ones that are not pre-bulbed require a tool to install them properly, and the ones that are pre-bulbed require a hand tool that is $76.60 to install them. You only lose about 0.039 (0.99mm) when you go from the non-pre-bulbed to the pre-bulbed. The grip range on both of them are 0.020 to 0.280 (well within most aluminum boat gauges) I think that if you went to the plusnuts you probably wouldn't have any problems with a loose bowmount trolling motor or anything for that matter. Unless I could buy the tool then start installing these for people on to their boats for a profit, I just can't justify them. They really do look like the best option of installing threaded inserts into aluminum.

If somebody would like to go in with me I wouldn't mind investing.

Attachments

• plusnut tool.JPG
    plusnut tool.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 839
  • plusnut.JPG
    plusnut.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 838
You can get them in smaller quantities than that along with the installation tool.

https://www.truckboxshop.com/browse.cfm/4,811.html

Those are probably cs (the pics look like aluminum, though) but they are out there in other materials. That link has the installation tool by itself for $3.

You might contact that ebay seller and see if they have any other materials besides the cs ones.

They should definitely hold a trolling motor or anything else. Seems like the 1/4" were about 1200in/lbs pull out in steel when fully expanded.