briggs and stratton 5hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali27

Reaction score
im looking at buying a motor for my Tracker 1436. Saw the briggs and stratton on a couple of wesites. I know there not manufactured anymore but theses sites have them new. My boat is rated for a 15hp and the briggs is only a 5. what do you think

I have lots of B&S engines. They are noisy and vibrate. The ONLY comment I have on B&S is about the Guarantee service. They are like dealing with a Divorce Lawyer :evil: if you have any kind of problem.
Other than that I have 10 B&S engines of different sizes and years and I like them.

Personally I think you'd be better off with a 6 Hp Evinrude though. Much quieter and smoother.

A friend of mine has one on his 15ft semi-V and loves it. He loves to troll and it is perfect for that. Does anyone know if B&S makes any larger than a 5 hp.

Ken

Don't think they made any bigger outboards. Just the 5 hp gas and I think they had a 3 hp electric. Also guys, how much did the 5 hp go for when B&S still produced them?

I think they sold for around $700 new.
I see them used from anywhere from $250-$400 on Craigslist.
I have heard more bad then good about them.
I would get a used 15 hp JohnnyRude. They are nearly bulletproof and they last forever. Parts are cheap and plentiful.

I have one on a 1432 Alumacraft and am very satisfied with it. Gave 700 for it new. The mercury 5 hp is twice the price. What problems I have had with it I have been able to correct and they were caused by operator error. I cannot skip across the water like most people do but for me I am in no hurry.

i was at Bass Pro yesterday in foxboro, ma. they had brand new B&S with camo design it was grouped in with the electric trolling motors and the batteries. $649 if i remember correctly. a friend of mine has one thats what made me take notice of it.

shaun

Latest posts