Bunk board and Trex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader809

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Trex deck material and thought about making my own slicks, I cut one in half so only about 3/8" thick. Plan to use four per bunk. Has any one done this? If so how well did it work? My boat is electric only, some times it's difficult to get up far enough to not get wet when hooking up the winch strap.

Think of Trex like plastic. It really needs support every 24" minimum or it will sag over time. So if you do this you may want to still use solid lumber underneath it. Even if your boat is really light it will sag under it's own weight.

I am going to place it on the carpeted bunks,4 pieces 3 1/2" by 5or 6".I cut each piece to about 3/8" thick and smoothed with a hand plane.I will try to post pics and results.

Jethro and Vader809, that would be great. I wish I could something in return for you guys! Well this is all it's about is sharing. thanks till you are better paid.

This worked better than I thought it would. I was going to put 4 on each bunk, but I ran out of screws I only put 3 on each bunk.I'm glad I did, trailering the boat was a breeze.Actually wanted to slide back off.The Trex, only goes to middle of the bunks. I need to figure out how to post pics. I put the cut side up because both sides have a non slip finish.

Since having the bottom of my boat coated with line-x, it doesn't like to slide on my carpeted bunks. It didn't affect the top speed, but it sure affected my ability to just power load like I could before. Maybe I need to use the Trex boards on top of my bunks.

PSG-1 said:
Since having the bottom of my boat coated with line-x, it doesn't like to slide on my carpeted bunks. It didn't affect the top speed, but it sure affected my ability to just power load like I could before. Maybe I need to use the Trex boards on top of my bunks.

Just be careful when power loading on that slippery stuff - I used old cutting boards and did basically the same thing as was done with the trex - my boat slides super easy now

BTW - get rid of the carpet - you no longer need it and it will help rot the bunks and the boat

Capt. Ahab, How long have you had those cutting boards on the trailer? Do you expect they they might get brittle over the long run?

Captain Ahab said:
Just be careful when power loading on that slippery stuff - I used old cutting boards and did basically the same thing as was done with the trex - my boat slides super easy now

BTW - get rid of the carpet - you no longer need it and it will help rot the bunks and the boat

I will likely do that. Will also have to remember not to unhook my boat until I'm backed down the ramp, as I'm sure it will slide much easier on the Trex boards. Definitely do not want to drop it on the ramp #-o #-o #-o

BrazosDon said:
Capt. Ahab, How long have you had those cutting boards on the trailer? Do you expect they they might get brittle over the long run?
They have been on about 5 yrs. I put them over pressure treated bunk boards. No problems

I might do this to my trailer since its a tilt trailer and the ponds I hunt don't have boat ramps. Thanks for sharing.

used trex wood when I built my trailer 3 years ago,,, would never have wood and carpet again,,, got to have it fully supported, also used it for my guide on's ,, takes nothing to push my 1548 g3 off the trailer and can amost pull the boat up the trailer by hand with the trailer half way in the water,, can tell ya you wouldn't want to unhook the boat until your ready for the boat to come off the trailer,, most of the time it slides off the trailer as I unwind the winch,,, have a trailer that uses uhmw slick bunks and think its actually slicker then them

Attachments

• IMG_4262.JPG
    IMG_4262.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_4263.JPG
    IMG_4263.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 386

Latest posts