Buy it or build it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Dave

Reaction score
Buy it or build it?

I know that’s kind of a skewed question considering this is a boat building sight. It’s not always a dollars and sense question though. Personally I couldn’t touch a comparable fiberglass boat that will get me as skinny as my build for less than $20,000 “the key word here being comparable” but it wasn’t really a money issues that made me decide to custom build my flats skiff.

I’m not saying that didn’t factor in but it wasn’t the main reason. I wanted a skiff that was super light weight and what better way to start than with an aluminum hull. Secondly there is a great deal of satisfaction when you do it for yourself. I enjoy my projects. I think the main reason would be because I know what I have. I also get to have the features I want where and how I want them.

I’m not saying there aren’t any good quality companies making shallow water skiffs, certainly there are, however unless you’re going to buy top of the line, well you know the old adage “You get what you pay for”
If money wasn’t really an issue, would you build it or buy it?

Ok so let me be the first to answer my own question, :LOL2:

If money wasn't an issue "at all" I would buy the top of the line skiff as long as it was able to fit my needs. However I would want to make some cool mods myself, you know trick it out. Because its doesn't matter how much or how little funds you have, you still need to have fun. Building fabing, and modifying things can be pretty fun.................. :mrgreen:

Everybody "builds" their boats to a point. Some more than others. I don't see many bone stock fishing boats. In answer to your question, as long as I had the time, and could continue to use my already "bought" boat, I'd build it.

I look at a bare hull as a canvas to be 'painted' into whatever form the artist desires.

I figure a 'built' boat is like painting by numbers, the design is done, the artist just has to put the colors in he needs.

Make sense?

Of course I didn't like my bare canvas so I stretched it a bit and made it do things most bare canvases were never designed to do.

I'm definitely a built not bought guy. I suspect many on here are that way too. I can't leave anything alone and I love to take some junk and make it into something cool! I have cars, trucks, motorcycles,utv's, and boats all built not bought. I think I like building the stuff just as much as using it when I'm done.

A key element is whether you have the skills to build it yourself. :?

I don't. I can kind of repair damage and cobble working arrangements, but that's not the same thing

But, lordluvaduk...some of the craftsmanship I've seen...is amazing.

Skill, time, money, interest in custome crafting...lot of factors, I'd think.

If money was no object I would probably have a custom boat built by someone else. Then again, if money was no object I would probably have one of the best workshops going with all the best tools, so, I don't know.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327770#p327770 said:
jethro » Today, 11:20[/url]"]If money was no object I would probably have a custom boat built by someone else. Then again, if money was no object I would probably have one of the best workshops going with all the best tools, so, I don't know.

LMAO That's exactly how I feel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327791#p327791 said:
Country Dave » Today, 14:22[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327770#p327770 said:
jethro » Today, 11:20[/url]"]If money was no object I would probably have a custom boat built by someone else. Then again, if money was no object I would probably have one of the best workshops going with all the best tools, so, I don't know.

LMAO That's exactly how I feel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

If money was no object... Both. But in reality I'm not a pro boat builder. I'd have it built by a top pro.

I looked at a lot of used boats and new decked out boats before I bought mine. I decided to buy a bare bones boat and set it up the way I want and not how someone else wanted. I can't leave anything alone and have been modding cars, trucks, kayaks, and now a boat since I was 16 (now 32). I like to be able to say "I built that". People always ask me why I do some of the things I do and my response is always "why not?". I'm a single guy with no kids that works a lot of overtime. I work hard for my money and I'm **** well going to enjoy it. Some people take vacations, I buy and mod things. I have a brother that is the complete opposite and would much rather take a fancy vacation to Costa Rica or Italy. All I can think of when he talks about these trips is all the cool stuff I could have bought with that money.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327715#p327715 said:
Country Dave » 28 Aug 2013, 17:36[/url]"]Ok so let me be the first to answer my own question, :LOL2:

If money wasn't an issue "at all" I would buy the top of the line skiff as long as it was able to fit my needs. However I would want to make some cool mods myself, you know trick it out. Because its doesn't matter how much or how little funds you have, you still need to have fun. Building fabing, and modifying things can be pretty fun.................. :mrgreen:

X2 - I would want full control over the build process and include every option that I "might need". The one thing I learned from my build, is that until you've done it you don't get the true level of satisfaction when it's over and done with knowing just what you've put into it. I think I could accomplish the same thing going brand new (BUILT TO MY SPECS) and not some off the rack boat at "Eightball's Marina"... I've done that with a house and it's pretty rewarding and we'll be doing it again and acting as our own GC if time permits.

My boat was just a hull nothing inside. Would I do it if I had boat loads of money? Hell ya! Would do things different tho. I would build more than one just because I like doing that kind of work!

Steve