Buying a new outboard online

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burkster

Reaction score
Has anyone done business with these guys?
e166faf3397f99b5d9e7ebf5c7474764.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have not.

I would ask my local authorized Honda service place if they had any issues doing warranty work on an outboard purchased on line. Who knows, maybe they will offer a price match.

LDUBS said:
I would ask my local authorized Honda service place if they had any issues doing warranty work on an outboard purchased on line.
Something to consider ...

WHAT EXACTLY must be done in order to offically initiate and start the Factory Warranty? On some brands it requires an authorized Dealer to register it. Here's what has happened up here, NE of Boston, when more than a few bought motors out-of-State or online, and then went to the Dealer. Now the Dealer MUST service the motor, but nothing in their service agreement with the brand says WHEN they do it. For 3 local Dealers I know, if you buy such a motor, you go to the end of the line! They will take care of all their regular 'paying' customers 1st! As a business, that makes perfect sense to them, no?

Now I know a guy who bought a motor in CT and brought it up to Mass, put it on his boat himself, rigged it all up himself and then brought it over to the OB brand Dealer in May to have it all checked out and registered for the warranty. The boat sat there all May ... all June ...and he finally got it in mid-July. He had threatened a few times to 'pull it out of there', but was warned that if there were many hours accumulated on that motor before being officially registered, that could be a cause to 'void' the warranty.

And do you think any Dealer would ever stand behind you or work on your behalf and help you ... when as far as they are concerned, you went out of your way and behind their back to save a few buck$?

... unfortunately, THIS is the reality of what you could be dealing with IF the motor you want must be officially registered by a servicing Dealer. Now that the season is in full swing and underway, you might not run into this, but just be aware of it.

LDUBS said:
... raises a very good point. I would think anything but a portable would require installation by an authorized shop.
GREAT clarification added ... as it was a bigger motor (90 or 130hp, I forget) in the instance cited ... perhaps it only applies to motors with controls, 'system check' type gauges, and such.

I bought a Tohatsu 20 from Online Outboard. Very reputable company, no problems. Any time a see a motor listed for about 1K less than it should be, I’m very suspicious. There is just not that kind of profit margin on a small motor. I expect they’d charge your credit card and that’s the last you’d hear from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleH said:
LDUBS said:
I would ask my local authorized Honda service place if they had any issues doing warranty work on an outboard purchased on line.

WHAT EXACTLY must be done in order to offically initiate and start the Factory Warranty? On some brands it requires an authorized Dealer to register it. Here's what has happened up here, NE of Boston, when more than a few bought motors out-of-State or online, and then went to the Dealer. Now the Dealer MUST service the motor, but nothing in their service agreement with the brand says WHEN they do it. For 3 local Dealers I know, if you buy such a motor, you go to the end of the line! They will take care of all their regular 'paying' customers 1st! As a business, that makes perfect sense to them, no?

Now I know a guy who bought a motor in CT and brought it up to Mass, put it on his boat himself, rigged it all up himself and then brought it over to the OB brand Dealer in May to have it all checked out and registered for the warranty. The boat sat there all May ... all June ...and he finally got it in mid-July. He had threatened a few times to 'pull it out of there', but was warned that if there were many hours accumulated on that motor before being officially registered, that could be a cause to 'void' the warranty.

And do you think any Dealer would ever stand behind you or work on your behalf and help you ... when as far as they are concerned, you went out of your way and behind their back to save a few buck$?

... unfortunately, THIS is the reality of what you could be dealing with IF the motor you want must be officially registered by a servicing Dealer. Now that the season is in full swing and underway, you might not run into this, but just be aware of it.
Great info! Thanks!

ktoelke54 said:
I bought a Tohatsu 20 from Online Outboard. Very reputable company, no problems. Any time a see a motor listed for about 1K less than it should be, I’m very suspicious. There is just not that kind of profit margin on a small motor. I expect they’d charge your credit card and that’s the last you’d hear from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right? I smell a scam too, but I just wanted to see if it wasn’t too good to be true. Turns out it is. This is one of the first sites that comes up on a Google search, so they’re paying Google some serious money for that service. When I called their phone number it went straight to voicemail—not a business voicemail either. When I called a local dealer, he said that even boat manufacturers are having a hell of a time getting motors right now, so that doesn’t bode well for generic online dealer either.

DaleH said:
LDUBS said:

well said.

One of many reasons I bought mine local. Paid $100 more than if I'd have bought it online. Worth it to me.

I still work at a dealership.
I can tell you for a fact that a dealer will take care of his purchasing customers much faster than someone local to him that buys online or goes well out off the beaten path to purchase from another dealer.
We put our purchasing customers first, our transient customers second. Local folks who need mechanical work are in with the transients and a local that purchases out of town...........last !