cabin height & stability

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom q vaxy

Reaction score
from a design standpoint, what is the practical cabin height x length in proportion to hull length & width?

i'm thinking of a 12' x 4' modified V hull, electric power, small water, camper. i do not ever expect it to plane, just stay upright!

rear pods; sure. outriggers; why not.

i understand this is a loaded question, but i need to start somewhere!

thanks

What do you plan to build the cabin out of?
Aluminum skinned or cloth covered?

The only specs I could find for a 1248 is from weldcraft and the capacity is listed as 760-906lbs. Not sure why such a large range I Assume adding factory options that add weight lower the rating much like trucks. Take that capacity and start subtracting motor, batteries, people etc and see what your left with. The sponsons and outriggers will add stability but will also count against your capacity.

What do you plan to build the cabin out of?
Aluminum skinned or cloth covered?
i was thinking of 1/4" marine meranti plywood & white oak strips where needed ala "woody" station hack style.

roof? maybe epdm rubber type material contact cemented & perimeter trim (either wood or - i dunno - aluminum strips)

the wood , especially edges & ends, would be resin saturated and then either clear-coated, uh, rather "bright", or paint.

The only specs I could find for a 1248 is from weldcraft and the capacity is listed as 760-906lbs. Not sure why such a large range I Assume adding factory options that add weight lower the rating much like trucks. Take that capacity and start subtracting motor, batteries, people etc and see what your left with. The sponsons and outriggers will add stability but will also count against your capacity.
i'm pushing two-bells and would like to take someone with me on occasion, so there's 400# right out of the chute, or off the ramp.

is a battery 100#, another 100# for a motor. that leaves 200# for a cabin which seems okay.

my main concern is what happens to the power to sail factor when a breeze comes up? will it tip?

i learned from pickup caps and vans that if i cannot stand erect (5'6" and shrinking) things are a drag.

i'm pretty simple and backpacking gear & a 6 pack size cooler would take me for a couple of nights.

i'm pushing two-bells and would like to take someone with me on occasion, so there's 400# right out of the chute, or off the ramp.

is a battery 100#, another 100# for a motor. that leaves 200# for a cabin which seems okay.

my main concern is what happens to the power to sail factor when a breeze comes up? will it tip?

i learned from pickup caps and vans that if i cannot stand erect (5'6" and shrinking) things are a drag.

i'm pretty simple and backpacking gear & a 6 pack size cooler would take me for a couple of nights.
I wouldn't think so with a 48" wide bottom but I would make that cabin out of the lightest material you can to keep your center of gravity as low as possible. I've fished with 3 grown men all over 220lbs each out of a 1648 many times and thar rig had casting decks front and rear we walked around on. It never tipped but I can remember a a time or 2 someone would trip fall and land on the gunnel and it felt like it might.

i like to make stuff, so i thought this would be an ideal opportunity.

and i'm way too old to be sleeping on the ground!

from a design standpoint, what is the practical cabin height x length in proportion to hull length & width?

i'm thinking of a 12' x 4' modified V hull, electric power, small water, camper. i do not ever expect it to plane, just stay upright!

rear pods; sure. outriggers; why not.

i understand this is a loaded question, but i need to start somewhere!

thanks
Before you buy a 12'x4' to put a cabin on you better go out in one first.

slug?

or too tippy?

i could go out in one an never pick up to what you are alluding; seriously. i don't have a clue.

slug?

or too tippy?

i could go out in one an never pick up to what you are alluding; seriously. i don't have a clue.

Good question. My concern is about creating an unstable and/or unsafe situation. I would have concerns that a 12x4 boat is not a stable platform for a tall cabin superstructure (you mentioned you want standing headroom). Weight distribution in a small light boat is important, especially raising the center of gravity. The suggestion is to experience one so you know what the boat is like before taking the plunge.

You mentioned adding outriggers and floatation pods. Sometimes people do that to make a small boat behave like a larger boat. Instead of doing all that it might be worthwhile to look for a deal on a larger boat.

Just to toss things out, an excellent option for an on-the-water camping platform would be a small pontoon or patio boat. Might find a deal on a used one, who knows.

slug?

or too tippy?

Tippy. Unless you are super agile and weigh under 100lbs, you would definitely know. Most 4' wide boats are in the 32-40" bottom width range.
I've got a 12x48" jon boat so it is more stable then a "v" at rest. I', 185lbs and I can sit all the way to one side on the rear seat and will have water coming over the side. This is with just a 4hp outboard and about 30lbs of weight in boat.

Tippy. Unless you are super agile and weigh under 100lbs, you would definitely know. Most 4' wide boats are in the 32-40" bottom width range.
I've got a 12x48" jon boat so it is more stable then a "v" at rest. I', 185lbs and I can sit all the way to one side on the rear seat and will have water coming over the side. This is with just a 4hp outboard and about 30lbs of weight in boat.
When I hear 1248 I assume we're talking 48" bottom . I had a 48" bottom boat albeit 16ft not 12 and it didn't behave anything like that and it had a 20hp 4 stroke.

When I hear 1248 I assume we're talking 48" bottom . I had a 48" bottom boat albeit 16ft not 12 and it didn't behave anything like that and it had a 20hp 4 stroke.

If he had said a 1248 I'd agree, but there are very few of those out there. He specified a 12' by 4' boat. If I were talking about my 1648 jon boat in terms of size I would say that it is a 16' x 6' boat, not 16' x 4'.
My 1236 jon boat is 12' x 4'.

Be safe. Get an "open concept" G3. Tracker, Sea Ark, etc MV 2072 and build on that. Control it from the fly bridge at rear of the cabin. Use aluminum to build with.

Attachments

• 2072.jpg
    2072.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts