Can you "steer" little motors?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuden

Reaction score
I'm looking at the MV 1648 NCS and have a question about rigging console steering into it rather than using the tiller, because of my back. What I'm wondering about is whether a little console like the one shown here can be rigged to a small outboard like my Yamaha 4 HP 4-Stroke.

https://www.boatsville.com/boats/ga/waverly/alumacraft/173460

No need to explain about the benefits of a larger motor than the 4 HP I already own, I totally get that, and will have to just "deal with" the slowness for budget reasons right now. Just want to know if those little guys can be easily rigged with steering cables.

Thanks,

Dane

I am sure you can get even that little motor on a steering system - even if it is just a "stick steer" or cable and pulley deal

What you might want to do is go to your local marine "junk yard" and see if you can purchase a complete system that you can then basterdize to fit your needs

I have a 2.5hp on my 1236 not a speed demon but I'm out to enjoy the ride and fish...beats paddling any day!

As far as the conversion from tiller to console, not sure I can help you there but I'd think it would be possible.

I've looked into this as I have a 3 horse gamefisher that I wanted to do something similar with.

The steering itself is pretty simple, as you can just fabricate a bracket for the motor to get your turning to work. The problem is extending the throttle control. I haven't figured out an easy way (and safe way) to do that yet.

If you find anything let me know because I'd love to do the same thing with my setup.

amateurhour said:
I've looked into this as I have a 3 horse gamefisher that I wanted to do something similar with.

The steering itself is pretty simple, as you can just fabricate a bracket for the motor to get your turning to work. The problem is extending the throttle control. I haven't figured out an easy way (and safe way) to do that yet.

If you find anything let me know because I'd love to do the same thing with my setup.

The throttle should be easy...a bike cable or similar should work, I'm sure you can buy them in cut lengths.

Might be I would just reach back to twist the tiller for throttle. Main goal for me is to just be able to sit straight rather than twisted halfway backwards, which gets uncomfortable in a 45 minute jaunt along a long stretch of river.

I actually built a prototype for the boat I sold that was a ship's wheel mounted to the starboard oarlock and used the old style pulley system. I did not get as far as throttle before I decided a bigger boat was desirable.

I guess my reply is it can be done if you are a certified field engineer. :) Don't you love PC talk?

There are many different styles and lengths of tiller extensions for sail boats and outboard motors that can be purchased. Here is a simple one for a trolling motor but would work on a small outboard as well. It's about 55" long. The motor end is a piece of PVC that has been formed over a heated metal pipe, then slotted. A hose clamp over the PVC could be used to make a more positive connection. A small universal joint connects the PVC to the tiller handle (another piece of PVC) which could be any length. The universal joint allows freedom of movement but is rigid for rotation of the handle for forward or reverse speed.
Hope this helps. Jerry :)

Attachments

• tiller extension 007s.jpg
    tiller extension 007s.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 627
  • tiller extension 005s.jpg
    tiller extension 005s.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 627
  • tiller extension 009s.jpg
    tiller extension 009s.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 627
  • tiller extension 008s.jpg