Carpet Replacement Q.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varnco

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Bass Tracker PT185 whose time has come to get the carpet replaced, and I plan on DYI.

I have viewed videos, photo's, write-ups, etc., but do have a few questions:

1. The front deck is wooden where the back deck is aluminum. The front deck has screws that hold the wood to the frame. Should I be shooting for reusing the same holes when I screw the decking back down again, or does it not matter?

2. Along the back end of the boat, there is an area where the there is an aluminum pieced "rolled over" that helps keep the carpet down, near the motor area (it's not screwed down). It somewhat "pinches" the carpet. What's the best way of unrolling this aluminum piece to not damage it while unrolling it or tapping it back down?

3. My plan is to do it in segments, over a period of several weekends. What are the pitfalls of my strategy?
First - Back deck/lids, since it''s carpet on aluminum.
Second - Front deck/lids since it's carpet on wood (and aluminum lids)
Third - middle section (I believe on wood, since there are screws)

I know I need to keep the grain of the carpet always going in the same direction and buy all the carpet at once, to avoid color variations.

Thanks!

Wood Weld contact cement, follow the directions, too heavy will bleed through.

Pictures of what you're working on would help dramatically.

Here are some pictures regarding the "segments" of the boat, I just can't handle not going fishing every weekend while the boat is apart.

I've also attached a close-up picture of the rolled" aluminum that seems to tack down the carpet. It's in the area around the motor.

Do this area first (one weekend). the areas marked 2nd, on the sides, are actually aluminum and the aluminum sides are screwed into the aluminum underneath to hold it in place. Screws can be seen in the carpet.
1st_section.jpg

Do this area next (2nd weekend). Everything above the "2nd Text" is on wood, and I can see the screws above the carpet. Do the screws need to go back into the same screw holes underneath (aluminum frame), does it not matter, or should the screws (self tapping) create new holes to grip better. It's a 17 year old boat, so this will probably be it's last carpet replacement.
2rd_section.jpg

Do this area last (3rd weekend)
3rd_section.jpg

Here is the closeup of the rolled aluminum. I don't want it to look like it was pryed up by a screwdriver and then mashed down by a hammer. Thoughts on this from those that have come across a similar issue?
IMG_20200425_125824.jpg

Thanks for any advice!

All of the hatch doors should be removed and carpeted individually.

For the wood sections, it is best to pull them, recarpet, and reinstall. It is better to use the old screw holes, but is difficult when they're covered up with carpet. You don't want to carpet over the screws, makes removal extremely difficult.

You will have to do it in three stages as you said. That is likely how it was done at the factory. There should be a seam somewhere at the bases of the seats where the middle section ends and the rear section begins.

It's hard to tell from your photo, but I think you could rip out the old carpet and tuck new stuff in around the edges of that rolled piece.

Spray adhesive is handier than brushing on contact cement, but they are the same stuff, just applied differently.

Thanks for the response.

I would think that non-spary adhesive would be better, as you're able to put on a bit more adhesive, which I think would be good to do when gluing down the carpet to the wood? I think Spray would probably put down the right amount for gluing to aluminum.

I like the idea of ripping the carpet out from underneath...I think that will work, and if I have trouble tucking it back in, with the carpet removed, I could probably pry up the 12" section as 1 piece, slip the carpet underneath, and then tap the whole thing down again, as one piece using a piece of carpeted would to tap on.

Is there a particular brand of glue that is recommended, or just "contact cement"?

You'll get varying responses on adhesives, more so if you search. If you use a spray, I'd stick to 3M.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22430&start=15

I originally used Roberts 6700 outdoor glue from Home Depot - it worked but was a pain in the *** and took a long time to dry. It had to be troweled and excess glue was an issue. It also bled through the carpet easily.

My second go around I used DAP Weldwood Contact Cement from ACE - you have to coat both surfaces, wait until it gets tacky and then apply. There is less working time and it holds quickly. You'll likely want extra hands when applying it as you want a one time placement as it won't slide easy once it's adhered.

Don't get the water based DAP - get the original. YOU WILL NEED TO LET IT DRY - don't plan on doing this on a Tuesday and hitting the lake Saturday.

Neither work well in cold weather applications, which shouldn't be an issue now.

I glued carpet to aluminum without issue - some people claim rain can cause the bond to fail. Maybe they're leaving them outside uncovered, mine is fished in the rain, sprayed off at the car wash, and stored indoors - no signs of peeling.

Thanks for the link on adhesives.

A question on cutting the carpet to fit (for the aluminum glueing, that can't be removed), is it best to use original as a template and cut accordingly or to do it like in this video? I am assuming the adhesive is placed on the boat already

[media]https://youtu.be/xoZNzkTPg1s[/media]

Jim said:
varnco said:
I just can't handle not going fishing every weekend while the boat is apart.
:LOL2:

Then just fish it and wait till the end of the season. Unless you are lucky enough to be able to fish all year.

Jim

I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and fish year-round!

varnco said:
Jim said:
varnco said:
I just can't handle not going fishing every weekend while the boat is apart.
:LOL2:

Then just fish it and wait till the end of the season. Unless you are lucky enough to be able to fish all year.

Jim

I live in Phoenix, Arizona, and fish year-round!
When I visit my companies phoenix office over the summer You can take me fishing. 8)