Casting my baitcasting reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassGeek54

Reaction score
Over the winter I aquired several Baitcasting reels. One is a Quantum Response that I really like. The one thing I kind of question though is if I am supposed to cast them from back to overhead rather than a more sidearm cast. I cannot seem to get the release right going overhead and I don't get the distance. How are you guys throwing them?

You can cast then all ways. Sometimes holding the reel sideways in your hand when casting it overhand helps with distance. Other than that just keep practicing.

If your a beginner, watch casting overhead on baitcasters. Remember 10 and 2. 10 behind you, 2 in front of you, I think I release around 1 or so and follow through to about 2 o'clock. Without casting, dry run a few times to get the hang of it. Have to make sure everything is set right on the reel to, if spool drag or magnetic brake set a little to tight with a lite lure, it wont go very far. I can get it to go further with a side cast then a overhead. (I have a weird hook with the lure around the tip, I guess for extra umph) Also when you start to get the hang of it, dont cast it very hard, if you mess up you'll be undoing a major birdsnest. I always find you can tell if your messing up before the release and I always stopped it with my thumb before to much went wrong. It all has to be done nice and smooth fluid flowing motion. This is how I learned it and good luck.

Practice, practice, practice. I have learned to cast the bigger saltwater reels with up to 8oz. sinkers on them with very good results. It took practice. I find that going overhead you have to end your cast with the reel spool perpendicular to the ground/water and the rod parallel or almost parallel to the ground/water. You want the line pulling straight out from the rod at all the way through the cast. That minimizes drag on the line as it is going through the eyes.

I mostly cast sidearm but occasionally cast over head in open water. My release point for over head and side arm casts are very close, 10 - 2 as DJ pointed out. If you're just not getting distance and backlashes aren't an issue then perhaps your brakes are set too high. I find that when I cast over head I tend to try and send my bait to Mars which causes me to backlash more often.

This is why I like this site...you guys are awesome and very helpful. I have been practicing and I am getting better. I think the biggest issue I am having now is timing. When going overhead I either release it too soon or too late. I have been keeping the backlashes to a minimum though and that makes me happy. I just got a Quantum PT Smoke SL150 6.6:1 that I am really liking a lot! Thank you all very much.

Latest posts