Cavman138's PolarKraft 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished the metal work on the back deck today.
Boat update 3021.jpg
Boat update 3031.jpg

Here is the look of the almost finished metal work. I added two more spans on aluminum to the front to add some support for the plywood.
Boat update 3081.jpg

The metal work is about 98% complete. I am just going to add some pieces of 1"x1" angle in some places to add more support for the plywood. Next step is to sand this thing down and get it painted, hopefully the weather will cooperate. After paint comes wiring, plywood, carpet and then fishing time. Hopefully I can move along a little quicker now.

Actually your doing a great job. I didn't realize there was more than one page when I made my previous post. Had I seen the second page of the thread, where someone did a much better job covering the floatation issue then my lame post, I wouldnt have posted it.

However its up and staying now. :mrgreen:

Johnny5 said:
lookin good, looks like its going to have alot of storage space

Yeah that was the plan when I started doing the metal work. I didn't want any space to go to waste. There is basically only one area that won't have a compartment and that's because I need to keep the space free in order to get my 7' rods in.

wolfmjc said:
looks great! please post picks of how you are going to do the hatch frame lips for the hatch covers. [-o<

will do. I am going to be adding some 1"x1" angle along the sides that currently only have 1/2" as a lip. That will give me a larger lip and also more to attach the adjacent piece of plywood to. I will just use self tapping screw to attach them. Just have to get to the scrap yard to pick up some metal. Since that isn't really going to hold me up right now, I have started sanding to get her ready for paint. Probably should've painted first, but weather wouldn't cooperate.

Started sanding and man this is going to take some time. Anyone have any suggestions to make it easier? I am using an orbital sander with 100 grit sand paper. The biggest problem I am having is around the rivets.
Thanks for all the suggestions for everything guys. I would be completely lost without this site.

If you're just sanding to rough it up, I think you've made it about as easy as possible with the sander. If you're looking to take it down to the aluminum, break out the angle grinder with a wire wheel.

You're. Boat is looking great man, can't wait to see how it all turns out. I wish I had more time and money to work on mine, but same as you, this Hampton Roads weather is killin me, so even if I had time, I'm not sure I'd get much done. Wish I had a garage... On a different note, fishing is starting to pick up, as we've had some luck bank fishing the pre-spawn. You have any lakes out there we can drop an unregistered boat in???

Unfortunately I don't know of any lakes to put an unregistered boat in. I am a minute from lake meade and lake cahoon, get that thing registered.

Got a craigslist special today. I posted a 'want to buy' add for a trolling motor and got a response for a brand new Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 digital 55lb thrust. It retailed for $599 now and i talked the guy into selling it for $400. He only used it twice. Sweet

Ok guys, been a little inactive lately. Work is starting to get busy so I am not able to do much work on the boat during the week. So far I have the sides, front and back sanded. I need a few buddies to help me flip it over so I can get the bottom sanded and get it primed. The weather has been great, so that means when I finally get this thing turned over it will probably start raining. I can't wait to get this thing painted so I can move on to the finishing phases....wiring, decking, carpet.........FISH. This weather is killing me, its been so great and all I can do is look at this unfinished boat sitting in my garage. Oh well it will get done.