Cavman138's PolarKraft 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few pics of the what has been sanded so far on the boat. I decided not to sand the bottom down to the bare aluminum.

Attachments

• P41200042.jpg
    P41200042.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 2,009
  • P41200052.jpg
    P41200052.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 2,009
  • P41200062.jpg
    P41200062.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,009
Well I was finally able to get some work done this weekend. Got the boat primed on Saturday. Couldn't paint on Sunday due to the wind, but I did get it sanded. Hopefully I'll be able to get the topcoat on this weekend.

Attachments

• P5010012b.jpg
    P5010012b.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,990
  • P5010016b.jpg
    P5010016b.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 1,990
  • P5010013b.jpg
    P5010013b.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,990
  • P5010014b.jpg
    P5010014b.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,990
So while I was sanding the primer and the primer was coming right off of the rivets and on some edges. I'm going to go over the spots that are bare again, but will the primer keep coming off of the rivets? The rivets were the easiest to sand the original paint off, I'm just trying to get this right. Any suggestions?

Alright guys here are the pictures of the first coat of the topcoat. I'm thinking I want it darker. What do you guys think? I mixed half Rustoleum Royal Blue with Rustoleum Smoke Grey. I'm thinking of adding some black to it to try to get more of a slate color. Someone once told me that this thread was worthless without pics, so here's some more pics for yall.

Forgot to mention that I sanded my primer and sanded it down to the bare metal in some places. I initially used automotive self etching primer that I put in a pneumatic air gun as you can see in the previous pics. I went back over the bare spots with spray cans of self etching and it came out really well, much smoother than the original primer, I didn't even sand it.

What do yall think? Haha I don't want to have to make this thread 10 pages by myself :roflmao: \:D/ :!:

Attachments

• First Coat1.jpg
    First Coat1.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 1,820
  • First Coat 2.jpg
    First Coat 2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,820
  • First Coat 3.jpg
    First Coat 3.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,820
Looks really good. The only thing about mixing colors is that when you want to touch it up, it could be hard unless you keep a fair amount of the premixed leftovers. Just something to think about.

So I decided to change the color. I decided to add some black to my blue paint and by adding just a little bit I made a color that I like a lot better. One more coat to go on the outside before I can get the inside painted and start working on the wiring, plywood, carpet, etc. Thanks for the responses guys.Second Coat 1.jpgSecond Coat 2.jpgSecond Coat 3.jpgSecond Coat 4.jpg

Thought I'd throw this in since someone requested it before. The garage looks like a mess, bit that's because the boat is taking up so much space haha.Model A.jpg

I like the darker Blue as well, you could really set it off with white decals and a white spray rail. Lookin' good, a nice paint job goes a long way!

Rat said:
I like the darker Blue as well, you could really set it off with white decals and a white spray rail. Lookin' good, a nice paint job goes a long way!

I was thinking about doing a grey pinstripe to pull in the gray carpet, my grey seats, and my Yamaha, but the white would really set it off.

I got some more painting done this weekend. This mod has definitely turned into a weekend project. My dad and I painted the inside and the top rail on Saturday. We took off the tape and plastic that we used to avoid overspray today and applied one final coat to the inside, top rail, sides, back and front. We already applied enough paint to the bottom so we didn't need to paint that again.

So on tap for this week will hopefully include getting all the wiring straight so that I could potentially work on the plywood by next weekend.

Attachments

• Interior Paint5.jpg
    Interior Paint5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,625
  • Interior Paint4.jpg
    Interior Paint4.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,625
  • Interior Paint3.jpg
    Interior Paint3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,625
  • Interior Paint2.jpg
    Interior Paint2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,625
  • Interior Paint1.jpg
    Interior Paint1.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,625
So this is the list of electrical components going in my boat. What gauge wire would you recommend for this stuff?

Trolling motor- Minn Kota PDV2 55lb
Humminbird 535 Fish Finder
Running lights
Bluewater LED deck lights
Small LED lights that will be used in compartments
AC plug
bilge
livewell
Headlights- these will be put on a bracket so that I can remove them until I need them...any ideas for a quick disconnect?

I think thats it.

Thanks guys

That Ford would be sooooooo sweet chopped and slammed with some steelies and baby moons. Just kidding, well not really, but nice Ford and boat man. It's looking good.