Cavman138's PolarKraft 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have gotten a little more work done this weekend. With the help from my dad and a friend, I was able to build out the interior compartments and carpet most of the interior floor. We also carpeted the wall of the rod locker and mounted the led compartment lights. We also attached the onboard charger behind the rear deck. We went into Saturday with a plan and ended up jumping from project to project. I will take some pictures to show yall what we did. We also spent a significant amount of time doing some brainstorming about carpet and hinges.

Today my dad and I prepped the front deck for the seat pedestal, cut holes for rod holders, and built, carpeted, and installed a box that goes under the bench seat in the rod locker. Previously I had just cut out the aluminum seat and removed the foam where the rod butts will sit, so that really cleaned up that space.

I am trying to trying to get the front deck completely ready for carpet before attacking the back deck. Its coming along slowly and looking exactly how I want it to.

Thanks for the compliments. I chose to use wood for those reasons. Much easier to work with than metal. Just more practical for me.

I got some more work done this weekend after taking a brief break from the boat. The first pictures are of the inside compartments that I forgot to put on here, but did those a few weekend ago. I have also installed my bussbar under the front deck (sorry forgot to take a pic) and also sealed my plywood with spar varnish.
Tackle Compartment carpeted-1.jpg
rod locker carpeted-1.jpg

Today, my brother-in-law and I worked getting the livewell completely taken care of. I was nervous about drilling holes in the boat, but finally just went for it.

Livewell drain with valveLivewell drain-1.jpg
livewell inside-1.jpg
livewell out-1.jpg

The front deck is ready for carpet, while the back deck still needs to have the cup holder cut in and the rear seat pedestal needs to be installed. Once that is completed, I can carpet the back deck and finish this boat.

Just came in the house after working on the boat since 8am. I got the front deck carpeted and have trimmed my hatch covers to a point that I think they'll work. I am having a problem getting the corners of my hatches covered the way I want them. Anyone have any pics from their builds? I know someone posted some great pics a while back, but I can't find the thread anywhere. This is frustrating the hell out of me.

Will post pics in few of what got done today.

As we can all tell at this point, I work pretty slow. Oh well, after 2 weeks of not working on the boat I finally got some done. Had a good friend come over for a few hours to give me a hand and it worked out well. We carpeted the front deck as I said in my previous post. Will carpet the hatches as soon as I can figure out how to carpet the corners: see above post.
Carpet-Front Deck1-1.jpg
Carpet-Front Deck 2-1.jpg
Carpet-Front Deck 8-1.jpg

I got more carpeting done this past weekend. Its looking pretty sweet. I have to redo one hatch thought because I didn't get the carpet on the right way. Sealed my carpet seams up with seam sealer that worked out great. Forgot to take pics, but will take some soon.

I got a little more work done this weekend. Only got to work on the boat on Monday. Saturday was spent up in Wahoo Country for the UVA game and I spent all day Sunday recovering from the long day. I carpeted and installed the piece that encloses the livewell and the compartments on either side of that. I also carpeted and installed the piece that has the seat pedestal in it. I don't know why I was worried about the screw heads showing. You can't see them at all. You can barely tell where they even went in. I got some other carpeting done as well. Its slowly coming together.

Carpet Back Deck Front 1-1.jpg

Attachments

• Carpet Back Deck Pedestal  1-1.jpg
    Carpet Back Deck Pedestal 1-1.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,521
lookin good cavman. That close up of the paint looks really good too.

To answer your hatch carpeting question from previous...

I've been trying to dig up the post that showed the right way to cut the carpet for the corner of the hatches, but I can't find it. I was 99% sure someone had posted it on here. If I find it, I'll post it up. Fairly simple process, but alot easier to show than to explain.

No problem man, someone posted it on the boat house thread I had. It was a post by Russ. After seeing that and realizing that I'm an idiot I got it straight.

and I posted this in the wrong thread... #-o :LOL2:

well....it was the "other guys"...

https://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=310502

Really good write up though.

Well after a lot of work this past week, the carpet is finally done and it looks sweet. I will get some good pics of it this week. I'm coming down the home stretch with this thing. The biggest thing left is installing my hinges. I am doing something I haven't seen on here before and actually slitting the carpet, sliding the hinges in, screwing them down, then gluing the carpet back down to the hinge. I figure that way the hinges will be out of site, but fully functional. I hope it comes out right. I have a lot of hinges (10) and I feel like this is the best way to keep them concealed. Will get some pictures up here this week and will show how I install the hinges as well.

Just a thought but if you get glue on the hinges won't they stop hinging?lol And if you force it to open then you would break the glue/carpet seal and it would stick up instead of laying down on the hinge. IMO if you set the hinge as far down as functionally possible the carpet should be higher or as high therefore hiding them well. Just my thoughts.

Just realized its been a while since I put some pics up. I have been getting a lot of work done lately. As mentioned before I finished the carpet last weekend. I haven't taken the boat out of the garage so its tough to get a good pic of it. Today I installed the hinges. Just have to glue the carpet back into place. I slit the carpet, slid the hinge in, then screwed it down. It was kinda tought because of how small the hinges were. If I were to ever to redo the hinges I would have gotten hinges that were at least 1" on either side of the pin, might even go 1.5" on either side. I changed the way I wanted to install my hinges after I ordered then from Fastenal, but I still made them work. Not a lot left to do boys...... Hopefully I can get some better pics soon.
Carpet Complete 2-1.jpg
Carpet Complete 3-1.jpg
Hinge 2-1.jpg
Hinge 1-1.jpg

I look and see you done a grate job,i likeing you boat very much =D>

On the live well drain, did you drill a hole in the bottom of the boat, if so could you take a shot from the bottom side to show what kind of fitting you used. I have been thinking of doing the same thing for my live well drain, but I am unsure how to complete it on the boat of the boat to avoid getting it ripped off. I think that you have done a great job with you boat it looks very professional.

summers said:
On the live well drain, did you drill a hole in the bottom of the boat, if so could you take a shot from the bottom side to show what kind of fitting you used. I have been thinking of doing the same thing for my live well drain, but I am unsure how to complete it on the boat of the boat to avoid getting it ripped off. I think that you have done a great job with you boat it looks very professional.

actually I ran a hose to the drain in the back, under the floor. That way when I pull the boat out of the water, I can pull the plug, put the hose through the drain hole and turn the valve. I think it will work out well. If that doesn't seem to work that well I'll put a bilge pump in the livewell and just pump the water out through the overflow hole.

Okay thanks for the help, I was thinking that to keep it simple I would just run a hose to the drain plug in the back of my boat and then slip the hose right out the drain plug and be able to drain the tank with out a big mess inside the boat.

Latest posts