Cavman138's PolarKraft 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This past week I got a few more things accomplished. I got my front deck screwed down, worked on some wiring, and installed lips in a few of my compartments. For the lips, I used 3/4" aluminum. With the help of my dad and a neighbor, we used a band saw to cut off the back side of the angle at each end to be able to mount them flush against framework. I am pretty happy with them and feel much more confident that I have enough support underneath my hatches.
Hatch Lip 1-1.jpg
Hatch Lip 2-1.jpg
Hatch Lip Before 3-1.jpg
Hatch Lip Install 4-1.jpg

Great Job !! I also have a boat exactly like yours that I am starting to do tomorrow.You gave me lots of great ideas.I can't wait to see yours in the water seeing your big smile.I'm just interesting in seeing how comfortable you are while running your tiller motor.I can't see it right now.

azslabber said:
Great Job !! I also have a boat exactly like yours that I am starting to do tomorrow.You gave me lots of great ideas.I can't wait to see yours in the water seeing your big smile.I'm just interesting in seeing how comfortable you are while running your tiller motor.I can't see it right now.

I plan on getting an extension handle for my tiller, so that I can sit on the front of the livewell while running.

Glad to see I could help you out with your build.

It has been quite some time since I have done any significant work on the boat. My weekends have been booked with UVA football games, a Saints-Panthers game and some family stuff. Hopefully now I can put the finishing touches on the boat and get it out of the garage. All I have done recently is replace my bunk boards on my trailer, install the latches in the back deck, and work on miscellaneous wiring. Also got my motor checked out since it has been sitting for a year and the mech told me it was in great condition, practically brand new.

What I have left:
Complete wiring
Get boat back on the trailer and out of the garage
Attach trolling motor and other accessories
Take Complete Boat Pics!
Put her on the water, if for nothing more than a boat ride now that water temps have dropped in the low 50s.

Yesterday I got the boat out of the garage after my dad took some time to clean the whole thing up. It is looking good if I do say so myself. Today my brother-in-law and I finished up a lot of the wiring, including my Bluewater LEDs on the deck and in the rear compartment. Not a lot of work left. I would get it out of the garage for good, but the cover I ordered was about a foot too long so I'm sending it back and have another one on its way.

Take a look
Full Boat 1-1.jpg
Full Boat No Seats 1-1.jpg
Bluewater LED 1-1.jpg
Front Deck Bluewater LEDs 1-1.jpg
Rear Bluewater LEDs 1-1.jpg
Rear Bluewater 1-1.jpg
Interior Lights 1-1.jpg
A word of advice. Get Bluewater LEDs for all of your deck and interior lights. The interior lights in the last pic are from Bass Pro and don't put our nearly the amount of light at the Bluewaters and don't look nearly as good.

Nice work cavman.

The boat looks great, and thanks for the heads up on the BPS LED's

If the days were longer and the weather were better I would get my boat in the water. As of last weekend it is officially out of the garage and back on the trailer. I have been having cover support issues with all the rain and snow we have had. I just can't seem to get rid of the low spots no matter what I do. Since my last update basically all that I have done is clean up the wiring and buy a quick mount for my trolling motor so I'll be able to store it inside when not in use. I need to get her in the water, but the weather just won't cooperate. For all intents and purposes she is complete minus the trolling motor mount being attached as well as the depth finder. I could use an indian summer about now.

Re "getting her into the water" Suggestion: Drive South until it is warm enough to do that.

Whoops....looking at the Weather Channel...you might have to drive past Cuba.

Skip my suggestion for now . Ha ha regards, Rich

p.s Great build thread. Keep it up. RG

as a temp measure use a folding lawn chair to support the tarp until you figure out what you want to do.

lucescoflathead said:
Which boat kit did you get from Blue Water? The basic or the deluxe? Thanks Todd

I got the Deck Light Front and Rear, it is item 20 on their website. I bought a separate strip for the back compartment.

After several months, I finally did some more work on the boat. I got the trolling motor quick mount mounted finally, attached my cleats, rewired my livewell pump so that it actually works, and did a few other small things. I can't wait to get it out on the water. I'll be trying for a successful launch this weekend.

Latest posts