Cavman138's PolarKraft 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jj97blazer said:
That Ford would be sooooooo sweet chopped and slammed with some steelies and baby moons. Just kidding, well not really, but nice Ford and boat man. It's looking good.

No way I'd mess up a classic. Its my dad's anyway and he's all about getting it original.

cavman138 said:
No love on the wiring question?

No.

For the TM, go 8 gauge at minimum, preferably 6 gauge.
I used 14 for all the rest of my electrical to keep it simple, but you can use 14 for pumps and 16 for lights. I also used 14 for the fishfinder, which is overkill considering they draw next to no power. I'd say 20 gauge for that.
I don't know what kind of power your AC outlet and headlights will be pulling, so you're on your own with those.

wow for a second there I thought you were being a real jerk haha. Thanks though, that is kinda what I had in mind, but I just wanted to get some thoughts.

dyeguy1212 said:
cavman138 said:
No love on the wiring question?

For the TM, go 8 gauge at minimum, preferably 6 gauge.
I used 14 for all the rest of my electrical to keep it simple, but you can use 14 for pumps and 16 for lights. I also used 14 for the fishfinder, which is overkill considering they draw next to no power. I'd say 20 gauge for that.
I don't know what kind of power your AC outlet and headlights will be pulling, so you're on your own with those.

X2. I'm thinking the same thing.

FIRST OF ALL, YOUR BRACING LOOKS STRONG ENOUGH TO SUPPORT AN ELEPHANT- EXCELLENT.

SECONDLY- I AM IMPRESSED, LOOKS PROFESSIONAL. KEEP IT UP. I SOMETIMES WISH THAT I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A FLAT BOTTOM JON INSTEAD OF A V- AFTER SEEING THIS THE DECK AND STORAGE LOOKS A LOT EASIER TO PUT TOGETHER AND IT WILL BE MORE STABLE TO FISH OFF OF. YET THE FLAT BOTTOMS ARE MUCH MORE CLUNKY AND SLOWER IN THE WATER. HMMM

HUSKERBOATER said:
FIRST OF ALL, YOUR BRACING LOOKS STRONG ENOUGH TO SUPPORT AN ELEPHANT- EXCELLENT.

SECONDLY- I AM IMPRESSED, LOOKS PROFESSIONAL. KEEP IT UP. I SOMETIMES WISH THAT I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A FLAT BOTTOM JON INSTEAD OF A V- AFTER SEEING THIS THE DECK AND STORAGE LOOKS A LOT EASIER TO PUT TOGETHER AND IT WILL BE MORE STABLE TO FISH OFF OF. YET THE FLAT BOTTOMS ARE MUCH MORE CLUNKY AND SLOWER IN THE WATER. HMMM

Thanks man I appreciate the good words. When I was looking for a boat to buy I was looking at flat bottoms and mod v's. I found this boat and thought about it for a bit. I am going to be fishing a lot of lakes that can only have 9.9hp so speed is not a big issue. Granted there will be a few places I go that I could have more hp, but for the majority of my time, speed won't matter. This boat should be super stable, which was a big selling point for me. Thanks again

Well progress has been slow over the last few weeks. I have run most of my wiring, not too difficult. This past weekend I worked on getting the template right so I can start working on the plywood. I am still far from being done unfortunately. I had no idea it would take me this long when I started. Hopefully I can get a lot done on the plywood this weekend. I know its going to be slow and tedious work, but it is like the last big step. I know the carpet will take some time too, but the plywood is a giant step. I need to reiterate how much everyone on here has been helpful in this entire process. Thanks guys. This really is a great site.

No real interesting pics to post.

Alright gentlemen. I was planning on starting the plywood deck today, but the lumber yard was closed unfortunately. I keep thinking about the plywood and I am wondering what size I really need. I have been planning on using 3/4" marine grade, but I have had several people tell me that 1/2" would be fine. It would save me $60 by going with 1/2 vs 3/4. Based on my build, what do y'all think?

If I remember correctly, my ribs are 13" apart. I used 1/2" plywood, making sure the grain ran perpendicular to my supports, and it has held up great.

Well I got a lot of work done today. Picked up my 3/4" marine grade on Thursday and went to work this morning. It turns out the templates my dad and I made last week were done almost perfectly, making everything today so much easier. We got both the front and back decks completed with no trouble. Hopefully this week I can get the interior compartments built out and get some other little wiring done. Carpet next weekend??? I sure hope so, I'm ready to go fishing.
Front Deck1-1.jpg
Rod Locker1-1.jpg
back deck 3-1.jpg
back deck 1-1.jpg
back deck 4-1.jpg
livewell cutout1-1.jpg

Coming together nicely. What color carpet are you gonna use? I think a shade of grey would look good with that blue. Keep at it you'll be fishing soon.

Looking good cavman.

I could use one of those canopies..... The sun has been torture to work under during daylight hours for the past several weeks here.

Yeah the heat was pretty bad. I'm outside most everyday, so I'm used to it....as much as someone can get used to 100 degree heat. The tent definitely helped.

Carpet ordered finally....

Latest posts