changing to a 25 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy 1

Reaction score
hi
I have foungd a deal on a 25 hp merc electric start, however my boat is a 14.5 lund that is rated fro a maximum 18 hp rating, I am running a 20 hp right now and I am wondering if I am pressing my luck by going to more horse power, the 20 and 25 are with in a couple of lbs of each other

thanks

andy

Andy,

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are anywhere around central Illinois, I have been charging people $300 to build and install a pair of pods. They add (depending on size) around 125lbs of bouyancy to the rear of the boat. They help alot with the weight of the motor, as well as the drop when you hit the throtle... Here are a few pics of the last set I installed.

102_0670.jpg

102_0671.jpg

102_0672.jpg

102_0673.jpg

I'm running a 25hp on my 14x36 Jon. When I replaced the transom I added a 1"x6"x48" Oak board so I could run the bigger motor.

You will be fine 5 hp is not that much. I have a 22 x 32 and h ave ran a 25 hp 4 stroke on it I love the speed and handle with the bigger motor but the weight is a killer 175lbs verse the 115lbs of the 15.

I would go with the 25 if it was me.

Should the boat be able to handle the 25? Probably, its a Lund, so it is solidly built.

However, I will throw out the standard legal disclaimer:
If your state has a law restricting you to the HP limit on the hull, and you get stopped, you will get a ticket.
Also, if you go over HP, and have a wreck or accident that is deemed to be your fault, you will most likely be held liable and your insurance company will most likely not pay for damages or medical costs.
Something to think about.

CarlF said:
Should the boat be able to handle the 25? Probably, its a Lund, so it is solidly built.

However, I will throw out the standard legal disclaimer:
If your state has a law restricting you to the HP limit on the hull, and you get stopped, you will get a ticket.
Also, if you go over HP, and have a wreck or accident that is deemed to be your fault, you will most likely be held liable and your insurance company will most likely not pay for damages or medical costs.
Something to think about.

One thing I forgot to mention about the pods - once they are installed, most states consider the hull to be a modified hull. Illinois allows the tag to be removed from modified hulls. I'm not certain of the other states though.

Latest posts