Cheap tach?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
What's an inexpensive tach I can get to see what kind of rpm's I'm turning on a yami 25?

I got a Hardline brand one, a cheap knock off of the better ones, I use it to keep track of the hours, not the RPM's. amazon or ebay are good places to look.

I've also been looking in to getting one of the "Tiny Tach" knockoffs. If I planned to use it full time then I'd probably go with a name brand but I don't want to spend the name brand price just to check my motors RPM a couple of times so I started looking at the knockoffs. I also don't want to invest that much for something that is going to be trash as soon as the battery runs down because you can't replace the battery. Still trying to find someone that actually has one of those chinese knockoffs you see on ebay all the time to verify if they will actually work on a 2 stroke 2 cyl.

FWIW I have had mixed & poor results from the cheaper tachs, either reading 2x the RPMs or some other weird value that who knows if it is right.

So off I go and 'borrow' the Tiny Tach off my 14' rig ... which isn't the fastest 'dismantal', but PRESTO ... I get a real number!

I do have to admit that the RPM reading on mine is about 2x what the OEM tach says.

Even the cheap chinese tachs can be adjusted for number of sparks per revolution.

They are total crap though; it is a shot in the dark to get a good one. The first one I bought worked for a few minutes and then got "stuck" at an RPM reading. No amount of fiddling with it could fix it.

Also, the battery can be replaced with a little bit of effort.

Latest posts