closed cell foam floatation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I placed a couple of small strips of pink insulation board from home depot in a small jar with gasoline. It completely dissolved in a couple of days. I'd be cautious of using it for floation if in a location where fuel could spill. I'm not sure how this compares with other products used in flotation. Perhaps somone more knowledgeable could provide some insight.

I placed a couple of small strips of pink insulation board from home depot in a small jar with gasoline. It completely dissolved in a couple of days. I'd be cautious of using it for floation if in a location where fuel could spill. I'm not sure how this compares with other products used in flotation. Perhaps somone more knowledgeable could provide some insight.

I once put polyester resin on styrofoam. It melted like the wicked witch of the west.

I've read about guys using the two part expanding foam over and around plastic water or soda bottles. Saves on the amount of foam for sure. But it is important the bottles be empty.
I'm trying to think of what's wrong with this idea and not having any luck, unless something in the foam formulation might degrade the PETG of the bottle and lead to failure down the line.

I'm trying to think of what's wrong with this idea and not having any luck, unless something in the foam formulation might degrade the PETG of the bottle and lead to failure down the line.

We see post after post about waterlogged foam, including the closed cell stuff. That wouldn't be a problem with hollow balls or plastic bottles. Seems there would be less weight too. If pour in foam is used, this seems this might actually be a superior approach to me. I guess puncture damage could be an issue. Other than that, I can't really think of a downside.

If you have a fuel leak that big to melt your flotation material....you have other problems much bigger !!

I notice in your description that this pruduct does not float in water. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the foam?
I am working on an older Sylvan Aluminum boat. I tore the floor out and it had crappy old white floation material that was waterlogged and disentigrating. When I go to replace it, I see that there are some options, The Pink rigid board insulation, is one, the other is the two part expanding foam that you pour in place.
My question is, in place of the exanding pour in foam that marine suppliers offer, can you use the expanding foam that is sold in Home supply stores that is used in the ground to anchor things like fence posts and mail boxes. This is a two part system, and I think must be closed cell, as it is there not only to anchor the post but to keep moisture away from the posts to prevent rot all year long.

Any answers are appreciated.
"No" it does not float "THERE IS NO BOUYANCE TO IT" Go to EBAY & ORDER THE FOLLOWING >2-PART> Closed Cell, for marine OR R-3300

"No" it does not float "THERE IS NO BOUYANCE TO IT" Go to EBAY & ORDER THE FOLLOWING >2-PART> Closed Cell, for marine OR R-3300

LAST-A-FOAM® R-3300 BUOYANCY FOAM SERIES​

LAST-A-FOAM® R-3300 is a closed-cell, hydrostatic pressure-resistant polyurethane foam that provides buoyancy to depths of up to 1,200 feet. It is typically supplied uncoated.

This semi-submersible foam is engineered to resist penetration by water, and is optimal for shallow to mid-water subsea buoyancy systems, marine and underwater robotics applications. Due to its pressure resistance to many fluids and resins, it is also used in resin-transfer molding as a core material.

If I were adding floatation to an enclosed area I would avoid the two part pour foam if practical. My main reason would be to avoid a hassle later down the road should I need to remove it to access the space. Instead, I would lay in some foam blocks.

Anyone tried having a home insulation company spray In foam? I was reading they offer a closed cell foam for insulating around foundations. Thought it might be a cheaper option if it worked.

In my experience, pour foam will trap water and eventually contribute to corrosion.
I prefer stacking panels which automatically allow drainage.
Just a thought.