Converting a remote to a tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justfloatin

Reaction score
Good day to all

I was wondering if it is possible to convert a old 2 stoke jonhson (35hp) to a tiller type.

The reason is I recently purchase a modified flat bottom which I intend to place a jet motor onto. Where I live a 40hpjet runs about 8 grand plus tax which is a bit high at the moment. There are lots of 35 Johnson where I live that can be had for a song and a flat of beer :lol:
I can buy a new jet assem. for 1500 which would make this a lot more feasible to do if the motor can be converted to a tiller.

I have lots of time and very little money but I can pull a wrench.

Depending on the year but the 35 & 25 I believe will use the same tiller.I have both & will double check.Make sure the jet is for the right lower unit.

If the motor was also made as a tiller version it can be done. It would be cheaper to get with a motor that has a tiller.

My intention is to look for a tiller type but there are not as numerous as the remote type. It seems most people up here are upgrading to 4 strokes which is why they are dirt cheap.
I am sure I could buy 2 and almost 3 remote 35's for the price of a good tiller type.

justflotin where are you located at?...i have the opposite problem i find tillers but no remote steering...you want to sell yours?