Could I run dual motors?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
This is probably going to show my age and experience, but oh well...

Was curious, if I happen to come across another Evinrude 7.5, exact same make and model, could I run dual motors?

Is that even possible?

{edit}

Found this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VJcts86Mw

Link them yes...but from the little I know about it...they both can spin the same way and work

Maybe.

But would it look as awesome?

[url=https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356470#p356470 said:
earl60446 » Today, 13:01[/url]"]You could but you would be much better off getting a 15hp outboard.

Tim

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356483#p356483 said:
tonynoriega » Yesterday, 15:52[/url]"]Maybe.

But would it look as awesome?

[url=https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356470#p356470 said:
earl60446 » Today, 13:01[/url]"]You could but you would be much better off getting a 15hp outboard.

Tim

Oh Looking "awesome" in a 53 alumacraft will help you catch more fish and pick up chicks. :LOL2:

They don't have to counter-rotate, it's not like the boat is gonna tip over or go around in circles uncontrollably, you compensate with steering just like with one motor, just more.

CONS more gas, more weight, more maintenance and cost, complexity of operating 2 motors
PROS bit more speed, the awesomeness

OH dear god... I just snorted my coffee reading this one... +1 well played.

I already have me a chick, and 4 little chicks to boot! Don't need any more.

The awesomeness would be pure self gratification of a project and task. Nothing more.

Probably get more looks from old timers than anyone else!!!!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=356571#p356571 said:
earl60446 » 28 minutes ago[/url]"]
Oh Looking "awesome" in a 53 alumacraft will help you catch more fish and pick up chicks. :LOL2:

They don't have to counter-rotate, it's not like the boat is gonna tip over or go around in circles uncontrollably, you compensate with steering just like with one motor, just more.

CONS more gas, more weight, more maintenance and cost, complexity of operating 2 motors
PROS bit more speed, the awesomeness

Another pro would be, that if one outboard were to break down, the other should be able to get you home.

Since it's mostly "just us guys" here, I think we can admit openly

that there are few extremes that a man will not go to "because, wouldn't that be COOOL??!??"

=D> :lol: =D>​

I, for one, definitely agree it would look AWESOME !!!

and, I think the rotation on such low HP would not be an issue.
Years ago in Key West, I had a tandem set up of two 1963 55hp Homelites
on a 20 foot wooden boat .... the speed scared the beejeemies out of me
thinking that old wooden boat would come apart and the old transom would just fly off.
I don't recall if it pulled one way or the other due to the same prop rotation......
DO IT !!!! - - - between now and then, you can get your speech ready,
for when SHE asks ............ W H Y Y Y Y ????? - - - For your safety, baby, for your safety :wink:

Thanks to Google, I found almost the same rig that I had back in 1970. I bought the boat
with a 60hp Gale that died and then got a good deal on the two Homelites .........

Attachments

• Homelitebxx001.jpg
    Homelitebxx001.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,441
As has been said no need for counter rotation, not enough HP to make much difference. If just for the cool factor, go for it. If for the safety factor of 2 motors, ok sure. But, if you expect any real gain in performance you may be disappointed.

Two 7.5's does not equal one 15, two motors means more weight, more drag, etc... A single 15hp would definitely outperform the two 7.5's while burning less fuel.

Where twins really come into their own is when a single 250 (or 300 these days) just isn't enough motor to get you up on plane. Unless you spend a lot of time way offshore, a single 300 with a 15/25 kicker is preferable to twin 150's. I see twin 70/90/115/135 rigs out there, but most would be better or equally served by a single 150/225/250.

My advice is do it for the cool factor, but don't expect any performance/economy gains.

Yes, it has been done many times even with small motors, not real cost effective but it can be done. They don't have to counter rotate. And yes it does look cool.

I don't know if this experience will apply, but I have two identical 3 hp 1958 Evinrude Fastwin motors. I got one for free and the other one I bought cheap as it didn't run. I got them both running real good and mounted them on the stern of my very lightweight 12' Grumman row boat. What I found out is that the two motors together actually SLOWED me down when they were both at full throttle. As soon as I pulled one of the motors up (and it didn't matter which one) the boat went about 1 mph faster. Maybe this is just the case with very small hp motors, but I thought I might just share my experience.

There is a guy down in south Florida and he is running twin jets on his jon boat, it looks pretty awesome and I would think it would be an improvement in his case. I wish I had gotten a picture of his rig, but they weren't new motors either they looked like early 90's models.

Years ago I went fishing with a guide service out of Homosassa, Fl. I believe the guides name was Frank Roush. He ran twin tiller 115hp mercs on a 24ft (96" wide) homemade wooden flat bottom boat (that he made himself). He used his whole body to steer the motors by standing in between them and leaning side to side while gripping the tiller handle and controling the throttles seperatly. That boat screemed up and down the river, it was crazy and a little scary! I wish I could find the pics from that trip! And yes it looked AWESOME!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358957#p358957 said:
surfman » 09 Jul 2014, 12:35[/url]"]I have heard of that guy, never met him though.

He's a little nutty, but he'll put you on some fish! And he drinks HOT Bush beer thats been sitting in the sun for who knows how long!

Latest posts