CraigsList boat = no title = no numbers = no HIN =

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, life got in the way of living and I didn't get to the office yet. Maybe tomorrow will work out better. But I did start painting the part of the reg I already know. :LOL2:

Too bad the paint doesn't cover in one coat, that's some tedious work I will have to do two or three times! But it saves 10 bucks and matches the transom wood 8)

letters.jpg

Attwan - what kind of papers did you present to the Tag Office in Florida
to get a FL registration ??
To qualify in any state, you must be a "property owner" . . . with that states drivers license
and/or permanent physical address (with utilities in your name) - (not a post office box).

am I being mistook ??

Just curious

Well everything was smooth sailing today, strolled in the office about 4:15pm, waited maybe 20 min, and had my 10 minutes at the window. For title, including $3.25 sales tax on the boat, it cost $15.50 for a 12ft 1in vessel. With the antique exemption on the reg fee, I only had to pay the county fee and the reg tax,total $8.50 for 2 years. Best 24 bucks I've spent in a long time! :mrgreen:

I will have to re-mark part of the boat, though. Never even thought of the fact that the number 1 takes up less space than the others and I've got two of them to paint on my hull #-o

And once again a big thank you to Barefoot_Johnny for helping me get everything right the first time! :USA1: Like most of us, the less time I spend in government offices the happier I am! =D> :beer:

Barefoot_Johnny said:
To qualify in any state, you must be a "property owner" . . . with that states drivers license
and/or permanent physical address (with utilities in your name) - (not a post office box).

am I being mistook ??

Just curious
So resident renters can't own a boat?

Barefoot_Johnny said:

am I being mistook ??

Just curious

I not sure what the law is..... I went there just to ask questions, ending up walking out with a title to the boat and trailer.
I'm a North Carolina resident, but own property in Florida too. They did ask if I owned property in Florida and which state the boat would be in most of the time.
Gave her my Nc drivers license along with a bill of sale. She gave me a title and registration.
But like I said I'm not sure what the rules are.

Good Job Cliff !!! glad it worked out for you. Now you will know what to do next time you
find a good deal on an old Tin without numbers or papers. (and so will I)

And no, I have no idea as to the "law" concerning out-of-state renters or out-of-state property owners.......
All I know is what I have experienced with my own vehicles and vessels when it comes to registration in FL.
If you have any legal questions, please direct them to your appropriate tax and tag office.
I am a Florida Native and Resident , But, I have lived in Virginia and West Virginia and have had vehicles and
vessels registered in all 3 states, and all 3 have different requirements.
I only started this thread because of past posts concerning this issue of no numbers or papers on old boats
with the tax office. Myself included, some people did not know what to do. With a little research, I was able
to get numbers and papers for an old Tin Boat that was doomed to the scrap yard.
I hope that I have shed some light on the FLORIDA procedures when it comes to getting new documentation
for a vessel that has never been registered.
Johnny

Attachments

• FloridaFlag.gif
    FloridaFlag.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 910
I know what ya mean with ever state beening different. Almost nothing happens in North Carolina with out a notary. And in Georgia you can own a vehicle with out a title if it's so old. And when you buy a jeep with fiberglass tub (body) and the serial numbers are different from the vin numbers on the title ....you have a mess. Not one of my smarter moments , but I did get it worked out.

Today I had a most pleasant interruption while making rodholders for my boat. "Here Honey, you've been waiting for this".

I guess this concludes my antique boat registration saga, because I now have "Title in hand" :mrgreen:

Cool Beans !!
Glad you had a smooth transaction with the FL DMV !! Now your boat will look "more gooder" with numbers !
Now, if in the future, you find that "killer deal" on an old Tin,
you can badger the seller down in price due to "no numbers or papers"
than take care of it yourself !

I still kick myself for passing up on an awesome much older 1654 mod-V for $300.
Knowing what I know now, I could have gotten it for much less AND registered with no problemo.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Get to know your states laws, rules and procedures before buying something you end up not being able use.

+1

Here in SC, it is illegal to buy or sell watercraft, or outboard motors without a title. It's a fine of up to 465 dollars. However, in some instances, such as, if you bought the boat without the intention of re-selling it, DNR will work with you, and allow you to register it.

Latest posts