Custom Flat botton

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcdimis

Reaction score
Hello all,
I found this forum while searching for ideas on modding my little john boat. It started life as a 1232 and has now become a 1250. I have had the boat out a few times and it has worked great (no leaks and very stable). I am in the process of cleaning up the inside and repainting. I look forward to seeing what everyone else is doing with their projects.
Some pics

Attachments

• image1 (00A).JPG
    image1 (00A).JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,562
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,562
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,562
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,562
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,562
The seam graft is pretty good, doesnt flex or leak however I have some aluminum square tubing that will be used as a reinforcement bracing to make sure I dont flex the welds. I currently have a bow mount trolling motor and will be adding a transmon mount later on to get me from point A to B (I still have alot of work in this area). The boat will on be used on local lakes only.

I was able to work on the transom this weekend, I finally settled on just using a 2x10 instead of plywood. I added a peice of aluminum angle to the bottom of the board that i plan to use as a mount point for a transom brace if I ever decide to add a small outboard to it.

I pulled the boat from the trailer with the plan of sanding/painting and adding bunks to it (currently nothing on the trailer) when a friend of mine stopped by and have a set of rollers.
Should I use the rollers or go ahead and build standard bunks?

Attachments

• sealed and installed.jpg
    sealed and installed.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,370
  • transom cleaned.jpg
    transom cleaned.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,370
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,370
  • image1 (008).JPG
    image1 (008).JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,370
pcdimis said:
Should I use the rollers or go ahead and build standard bunks?

I think most would say use bunks instead of rollers. The boat bouncing up and down on the rollers will likely result in dents in the aluminum. The bunks should provide more support, spreading the weight out over more surface area.

Buy all means use bunks!,, To use rollers the trailer has to be designed in a way, with the trailer matched to the boats longitude stringers. That why you'll see them on larger deep V type boats. But not on boats with ribs. If a roller lands in between two ribs. (Like said earlier) they will put dents in the bottom of the hull.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wanted to give a brief update, as far as I am concerned the boat is complete, I have been fishing out of it almost every day for the past several weeks and absolutely love it.
I was originally just going to leave the wood as is but found some carpet at a good prices and decided to try it out.
I also took an old cooler and converted it to a live well.
Everything on on this boat (except for the paint) I tried to re-purpose/make myself or take a shoe string budget approach.
As it sits currently I have 400$ total investment and feel I have already gotten my moneys worth back out of it, the only thing left that may get added to this boat is a gas outboard.
A freind gave me a seized 3.5 sears motor and I have a 4.5 HP briggs pressure washer engine so I may get bored and see what happens.

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,090