Cutting down a sprinfield seat post

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought if I cut the top portion at just below the insert and remove the insert from this part I would reinstall it in the shortened shaft

I went to BPS today in Aurburn Hills and picked up another seat post. When I got home I measured down from the top inside to get the measurement of the inside nylon bushing that was about 3" I cut the post at 3 1/2" from the top using my 10" miter saw with a carbide blade. (the cut turned out clean and straight). I then used a bearing spreader to clamp the outside of the cutoff post and using a bearing driver I drove the insert out.

After getting an accurate measurement for the finished post size I re-cut the bottom part of the post and reinserted the nylon bushing. I started out with a 13" post and finished out with a 6" post. :)

I have cut down a couple swivl-eze seat posts. I used my miter saw with a carbide blade to cut them. The inserts are about 2 1/2" to 3" long, if you are cutting more that that from the posts you can drive out the bushing to reuse it. If you do damage your bushing you can buy them from Grizzly Jig Co. (https://www.grizzlyjig.com) I don't see them on the website, but the catalog shows them. They are about 5 bucks or so.
Good Luck

PhilM,
Grizzly jig also carries the seat post in a 6" length. They are the only place that I have seen them on the shelf. I have made a couple double seat rigs for crappie fishing that I have used the 6" riser on. Glad you got yours finished.

Latest posts