DC Fishing Report from 10/27

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one100grand

Reaction score
It was raining pretty hard out most of the night and rained until about 3:00 PM today. We went out at around 1:30 or so to try and catch stripers or largemouth bass. We went out and used the casting net to catch a bunch of very large shiners(between 4-6") and were hoping to get into some decent sized Stripers, but sadly the stripers didn't want to eat today. We only caught 2 fish about 15" each, which is very much on the small side of things, so nothing to speak of there. Things did go decently for largemouth as we landed a few decent fish. The real stars of today were the blue cats we caught. The bigger one is just over 40 LBS and the smaller one weighed in at 28 LBS. Both were landed on a medium action pole w/10 lbs test.

Attachments

• IMG_0776.JPG
    IMG_0776.JPG
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG00068-20101027-1657.jpg
    IMG00068-20101027-1657.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 177
jdd5p said:
Nice ones! I can't imagine trying to land a 40 lber on 10# test.
Thanks, after the initial run, I though it got wrapped up in moss as can sometimes happen in that area, but after a few pump & winds, it made a huge second run...it was running so hard and fast the 2nd time that I thought it was going to run out the spool, but eventually the tide turned :twisted:

ha its a small world my bro saw you when he was on his way home from work. nice blues, bet it was fun on light tackle. I was down there on tuesday and today, nothin really doing at low tide and Ive been having to work when tides up during the day. what where you catchin the bass on? Ive had all of 3 in the last two trips down there

For the largemouth, I've been doing well with Rat-L traps tossed out toward the bouys (mostly the classic silver & black). I've had the best luck as the tide is going out, the fish seem to be sitting just into the river waiting around the dropoff. For the stripers, we've been doing well with shiners & live bluegill in the same area. I recently learned that bigger blue cats tend to follow schools of stripers and eat the wounded baitfish, so it's not a surprise that we caught some good sized catfish. I live close by that area and I like to go down there quite a bit...drop me a line if you ever want to meet up and go fishing.

one100grand said:
For the largemouth, I've been doing well with Rat-L traps tossed out toward the bouys (mostly the classic silver & black). I've had the best luck as the tide is going out, the fish seem to be sitting just into the river waiting around the dropoff. For the stripers, we've been doing well with shiners & live bluegill in the same area. I recently learned that bigger blue cats tend to follow schools of stripers and eat the wounded baitfish, so it's not a surprise that we caught some good sized catfish. I live close by that area and I like to go down there quite a bit...drop me a line if you ever want to meet up and go fishing.
I havent been fishin out that far from the bridge recently guess the colder weather is pushin them outa the current. I live like 10 minutes from there which is the main reason I fish there so much. im about to head down there now and see if I cant get a frog bite on the grass off the front.

Latest posts