Deck carpeting/hatch question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeRauch

Reaction score
The weather finally got warm enough here in Oklahoma to get a little work done on the boat. Today I was able to get the casting deck cut out for my 1032 jon boat. You can see the whole story in my thread 10' Jon Boat Bassin' in the conversions and modifications forum.
I bought indoor/outdoor carpet and adhesive. I can probably find a stapler somewhere.
I have no experience in carpeting anything, so I was hoping someone could talk me through it. I would love to hear any tips, tricks, or methods that were successful for you.

*side note* I want to put in a hatch to store things under the deck. If I bevel the edges of the hatch enough will it be strong enough to hold my weight? Or do I still need a frame under it?

Thanks, Blake

You need support under the hatch. Simply bevelling the endges of the plywood will not be enough. That may work for a small 6x6 hole but not for anything workth cutting the deck for.

As for the carpeting, roll out the carpet upside down on a large flat surface, like a driveway. Then lay the plywood ontop of the upside down carpet. Mark and cut the carpet a few inches or more larger that the plywood on all sides. This will allow you to wrap the carpet under the plywood. Then spread out the glue on the plywood and lay the plywood back down on the carpet. Flip it over to roll the carpet to the plywood to ensure good adhesion. Now flip it over again and start working the corners. Wrap the carpet around the bottom of the plywood and secure with staples.

That is my way, not the only or best way.

I am putting 1x1" supports inside my "hatch hole" to support my lid... along with a chunk of 2x4" mounted to the bottom of the lid, that will rest on some angle brackets attached to the frame as some added support...

Dont want to fall through that sum ***** while I am trying to slay carp!!!

Latest posts