Deep V or Mod V?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol whatever man, we have all seen FLAT bottomed "jon" style boats with a V shaped bow...and when we do...they are sold under the "mod V" label.

LonLB said:
bassnbrian said:
I disagree that the definition is that cut and dry...just look around, there are TONS of flat bottom boats with V style bows that are called MOD-v.

Their definition might be wrong , but nevertheless it is the label they are being sold under

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3425

That boat has V.

This pulled from the description
"The Mod V design means you’re in for a much smoother and drier ride than standard flat-bottom boats."

This link has the specs, and lists the deadrise-again a measure of the V.
https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3425

Another Tracker TXW175=SPECS INCLUDE DEADRISE (note the deeper V on these vs the very shallow V on the jon style mod V)
https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3406

The bottom of a Mod V Tracker.
Pro-Team-175-TXW_img6980_900.jpg

Yeah that picture of the tracker says it all...that is how the mod V looks...it is cut and dry. The trackers and jons that are sold as that label look to be a flat Jon with a v bow at first glance, but they have a slight v in the hull...

bassnbrian said:
lol whatever man, we have all seen FLAT bottomed "jon" style boats with a V shaped bow...and when we do...they are sold under the "mod V" label.

So far, every boat you've linked to has some deadrise. Once you get past 0 degrees of transom deadrise (ie - dead nuts flat, not 'mostly flat'), you are into the category of mod vees. Believe it or not, it is cut and dry.

The flat bottoms with a bit of a triangle in the nose are pretty well a thing of the '80s - I've owned one before, and worked on a few others, but I don't think I could produce a link to one made today if I had to.

bassboy1 said:
bassnbrian said:

So far, every boat you've linked to has some deadrise. Once you get past 0 degrees of transom deadrise (ie - dead nuts flat, not 'mostly flat'), you are into the category of mod vees. Believe it or not, it is cut and dry.

The flat bottoms with a bit of a triangle in the nose are pretty well a thing of the '80s - I've owned one before, and worked on a few others, but I don't think I could produce a link to one made today if I had to.

those 80"s ones must be what I was thinking of. Though it Kinda sucked I couldnt produce the right links lol....no problem eatin humble pie =)

As we look at these hulls I gotta ask...what difference does that slight deadrise make in the handling of the boat?

We all hear that jon's are generally not good in rougher "big" water...but what about semi- v's?
My semi v has a pretty flat bottom like the poster's picture. And I definately struggle against in any kind of rough water. Does that slight deadrise help?

Living by Lake st clair in MI, Im constantly looking for a boat thats small enough for my yard (and the great fishing canals on LSC), cheap enough for the budget and safe enough for the open water of the main lake.

I'm sorry to "hijack" the thread :p

Given the same amount of width
Deep V=smoother ride in rough water.
Flat=more stable at rest.
Mod V's, and semi V-s are an attempt to bridge the gap.

To answer your question though, it won't make that much of a difference. Noticeable, but If I had a flat boat that fit my needs, and I liked, I wouldn't seek out a Mod V.

Although I have heard of some folks lately talking about how the new Tracker mod V bass boats ride pretty darn well in rough water, MUCH better than people expect, and much better than Trackers of years past.
But again that Tracker Bass boat has a much bigger, more pronounced V, then some of the jon style mod V's

Lon is not only correct...but...when you think of how many hours many spend fishing....vs...hours spent getting TO the fishing spot.... stability is an important factor.

I've owned a couple of flat bottom Carolina Skiffs. Still own one, as a matter of fact. Hard riding while getting to the spot, but pretty solid when standing and fishing.

If I was towing a skier all of the time, then a V bottom would be a better choice for that activity.

R

I guess a lot of it is personal experience and taste. TBH I absolutely despise the in my buddy's 18' aluminum Lund (I think Lund..but not sure) Deep V. Everytime we are out on St Clair...even the smallest chop just about breaks your spine at anything over minimal speed....whether he is on plane or not.

My semi V gives a much better ride over smaller waves but doesn't feel safe once the lake gets moody. I know we would get home safe in my bud's boat in pretty rough water...but we might not be able to walk right for a week...

I came really close to buying an 16' V glass boat this fall due to my aching spine.... But family medical bills took that dream away :p

Brian....if you had a chance to ride in a center console....I think you would find that your back would like it a LOT better. You can flex your knees at each wave. You can also add a floor cushion. I never felt the need for that, even though my 72 yr. old back isn't the best.

My Carolina Skiff is a hard riding flat bottom boat, but it has a CC. It can take lots of waves well. I just give and take and flex up and down with the waves.

My semi-V Lowe 16W has a sit-down side console. It rides just fine, but I would prefer being up high and seeing whats coming.

99% of the boats on my little lake in Wisconsin are the sit down Lowe style. I think those guys are missing a bet. They give me strange looks whenever I blow by them standing up.

R

in really rough water the way you drive the boat can have an effect too. You can go from a smooth ride to a kidney pounding ride with the same boat, and two different operators.

FWIW there are solutions help the rough ride in any boat. Spring loaded pedestals.

EDIT Here ya go.

https://shockmasterpedestals.com/