Dgram36's 1852 Lowe Olympic Duck Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey gents, I reassembled the transom and the tray a few days ago. All in all I'm happy with the results of the transom. I didn't take any pics yet, because she's flipped over right now getting prepped for paint!! My Parkers came in yesterday and I'm very excited to keep pushing on. I have some advice to ask you seasoned tin captains. Im thinking of moving my console back to the rear seat. I know I will obviously need new steering and shifting cables, but it will really give me more open space which is what i want for the ducking. Do you think that moving my seat back will put too much weight in the rear of the boat when running? I have a 40 hp long shaft, 10 gal gas can, and battery all in the back of the boat. Me and my duck hunting buddy weigh 250 each. So that will be an extra 1/4 ton sitting 5 feet further back on the boat then before. I will be putting aluminum decking on the floor and a solid plywood deck up front so there will be weight distributed throughout the rig. Let me know what you think!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321775#p321775 said:
dgram36 » 09 Jul 2013, 18:31[/url]"]Hey gents, I reassembled the transom and the tray a few days ago. All in all I'm happy with the results of the transom. I didn't take any pics yet, because she's flipped over right now getting prepped for paint!! My Parkers came in yesterday and I'm very excited to keep pushing on. I have some advice to ask you seasoned tin captains. Im thinking of moving my console back to the rear seat. I know I will obviously need new steering and shifting cables, but it will really give me more open space which is what i want for the ducking. Do you think that moving my seat back will put too much weight in the rear of the boat when running? I have a 40 hp long shaft, 10 gal gas can, and battery all in the back of the boat. Me and my duck hunting buddy weigh 250 each. So that will be an extra 1/4 ton sitting 5 feet further back on the boat then before. I will be putting aluminum decking on the floor and a solid plywood deck up front so there will be weight distributed throughout the rig. Let me know what you think!

Should be alright. You can always put a hyrdofoil on the engine if you feel like its not sitting right in the water and having trouble bringing her on a plane. Boat looks great though and cant wait to see how to paint job turns out.

Consider shaving the console down horizontally. I have seen this done before, looks pretty practical.

Or get you some pods. :D

There's a guy here in burnsville, MN that does em for 200 bucks :shock:

I might have to get some when I repower my turd.

Ok thanks for the responses guys. PWeis, what would shaving the console do for me? I'd considered doing that anyway because when I install my scissor blind it will help keep it from hanging up. What else could it help me with?

It would give you more floor space is all, not much but some. If you have a blind on the boat the center walkway is the most valuable space,and it might free that up a bit.

O ok, I thought you meant to shave the height, your talking about shaving the side. Good idea ill have to look into that.

willsbarbour said:
Looks good. Was thinking about doing the same thing to mine. Did you use truck bed liner?

To be honest the trailer was probably the hardest part of the build so far. It was in really rough shape. I used an angle grinder and wire wheel to get the entire frame down to bare metal and used rustoleum self etching primer and rustoleum black enamel rattle cans to to paint it. I replaced all the rollers, the winch, tongue, safety chains, bunks, wiring and lights. I also replaced the races and bearings, and repacked with grease. I had to make some modifications to the structure itself because it just wasn't sturdy enough to support the weight of the boat. I used four 8' 2x4s for the bunks and two 4' 2x4s for the guides. The bunks needed to be thicker because of the weight of the boat and motor. Overall I'm very pleased but it was a labor intensive process. Only cost me about $150 to do, which is better than buying a new one I guess. Bedliner is a good idea, wish I had thought of that...

That thing is looking slick! 8) really nice work. Having new bearings makes you feel better, doesn't it?

Welp, today was paint day. Put down three coats with the sprayer and I'm pretty impressed with the Parker's. looks like some durable stuff.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373843296.461372.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373843317.244178.jpg

Looks good dgram. I bought the same flavor of Parker's looks really good! With 3 sprays on the hull how much of the gallon do you have left for the inside?

panFried said:
Looks good dgram. I bought the same flavor of Parker's looks really good! With 3 sprays on the hull how much of the gallon do you have left for the inside?

The answer to that math problem is zero! Lol. I bought two gallons of paint so I still have one left for the inside and touch ups.

dgram36 said:
The answer to that math problem is zero! Lol. I bought two gallons of paint so I still have one left for the inside and touch ups.
Hmm... I'm getting nervous. I bought 1 gallon to cover a 1636 w/ 2 coats. I'm guessing its gonna be close. :)

panFried said:
dgram36 said:
Hmm... I'm getting nervous. I bought 1 gallon to cover a 1636 w/ 2 coats. I'm guessing its gonna be close. :)

To be honest with you, I didn't thin to the recommended amount and I had the sprayer turned up all the way for the entire session. I also had a lot of overspray so you might be ok. My first time using the sprayer so I definitely could have been more liberal with the paint.

Started camo on the rig today. Not sure about it, but it's growing on me. Not bad for $5 worth of poster board and a razor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373929712.012341.jpg

Latest posts