Dressing the Barbie Doll

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuden

Reaction score
I thought I'd "blog" my experience in purchasing and "dolling up" a bare bones jon boat. Might be interesting to follow, and it might also prompt some advice from the seasoned modders out there about what to do and *not* do...in the process sparing me some expense, pain, wasted time, etc.

So! Here's the back story. We live on a river and I played with a number of scenarios before deciding that the best type of boat for us was a small jon with back bench, casting deck, no center seat, and modified vee hull. We have opted for an Alweld welded boat and decided on the 12' model after comparing 12, 14, and 16. The 14 and 16 seemed to beg for a bigger engine than I want to pay for or spend money feeding. Despite being shorter than the others, the 12 looked nicely stable and surprisingly roomy for its length. Combined with a low (8 HP) motor, my theory is that this one should tiptoe through our shallow waters well, and still be able to get up and buzz along decently at full throttle.

I'm faced with the dilemma of limited budget combined with limited skill set, and ultimately the limited skill set is winning out over budget...so I have decided to have the few initial modifications I need taken care of done right at the dealership before I pick the boat up. I still have to get a quote from them on the whole package before I confirm the boat purchase, so this seems like a good time to huddle with the "Tin Boat Experts." Let me tell you what I need them to do, and maybe you can tell me what I ought to expect to pay for it. I'll in turn, provide some photos of the process, befores and afters, etc.

Attached is a photo of the bare-bones "Barbie Doll." It's an Alweld 1242 Vee SS. Initially I want to accomplish the following (before it's delivered to me):

- Wire for lights front and back and add the lights to it
- Add bilge pump with switch
(These two might be on some little switch panel)

- Wire harness and outlet for trolling motor

- Install pedestal seat mounts front and back
- Add a bracket up front for a trolling motor

Assuming they supply the parts and do the labor, what would you guess is a reasonable estimate from them for the custom stuff above?

After the fact, I plan to also put in a floor. The ribs stick up pretty high and I can already picture myself with missing teeth after stumbling over them. But we'll deal with the floor later.

So here we go...this should be a fun adventure and I'll keep you all posted as we go along. I appreciate everybody's insights and opinions.

Dane

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369960260.280971.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1369960260.280971.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 728
I had similar work done on the one I recently bought. Prices vary from one area of the country to the next, but I would expect to pay $450 to 600 for what you want done by a shop. Wire costs will be the highest on materials.

Wwwwow...that's some serious moola...gonna have to have to reconsider employing my own mod-fu skills if it goes that high.

Doesn't take to much skill to add those accessories, just the correct tools. I'm sure people on here would make you a wiring diagram to follow. Nothing makes you feel accomplished than drilling holes in your new boat ;)

Nice rig btw!

Take this for what it's worth...probably not much,as it's free and hear say.
The reading I have done on the web suggests that in many cases a longer/wider jon will plane easier and draw less water than a shorter narrower one.Sometimes it helps to have alittle more boat on the water,the 12'er might dig into the water.

Again,I'm not saying this will be the case in your situation but maybe some more reading is in order?

Zum, I'm listening...we haven't decided absolutely about the 12, and if we can ride higher with a bit bigger boat, that'd definitely be a plus for us.

Get a 14 minimum if possible, a 12' with one person will be light in the front...ok with 2 people but a 14' would be better.

i dream of having a alweld 1242 one day for solo fly fishing adventures. i would want the flat bottom with the square front though with that size boat. i have a alweld 1752 VV LA and my buddy has the 1752 flat bottom and the size of his deck is twice the size of mine.

Thanks to everybody for their posts. I'm going to cap this post because it turns out we're moving in another direction, toward a 16 footer used combo that already has a lot of the things mentioned going for it. None of the mods mentioned would need to be added. See my post about the Triton combo...seeking input from anyone who has owned a Triton jon.

Latest posts