Driver to Motor Position Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenchicken

Reaction score
I jsut boat my first motor motor and I am just finishing my first season on the lake with it.

The winter I plan to, with the help form this site, remodel it.

Today question is my position to the motor. It is a 14 foot alumacraft with a 9.9 Suzuki outboard motor.

CUrrently the is dead center and I find it unpleasant to ride with one arm twisted behind me. Here is my thought on repositioning my seat, I look forward to opinions.

Attachments

• seating.jpg
    seating.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,470
It all depends on the load plan in your yacht which keep in mind can have minor changes in real time depending on your co-boater/anglers body position and gear, how much fuel, ect.

I dont use seats because I fish standing up and seats just get in the way but..the best thing you can do for yourself is to design the boat around you instead of the other way around. From a comfort as well as a SAFETY aspect you need to be positioned to where you have positive and un distracted contol of the boat. Then put your batteries, and fuel (your biggest natural ballists) in place to balance out the load. Then you can also arrange your gear in the boat to control your buddies spot in the boat without him or her even knowing it. Moral of the story, sit in the boat like your are driving the tiller, mount seat there.

I am a Bow Fisher. Therefore I use the outboard to get to general location and then I move to the front of the boat and use my foot controlled trolling motor while I stand and shoot.

Yes on balance. and Yes on Swivel. If I put myself on the side I would locate the battery and fuel on the opposite side.

Being on the side with a swivel chair make the most sense to me but I do not see that setup on most of the posting so I was wondering if there were issues.

I have a tiller extension that really makes it comfortable when seated. Also a grab bar so I can stand up. I will never nit have one again.

I was going to suggest the sliderg5 myself but rich beat me to the punch.
I'll be putting two of them in my boat. One for the rear seat and one for the forward seat.
While in motion I'll slide to one of the sides to better be able to operate the tiller and my buddy can slide to the opposite to counter weight. Then while fishing we can slide back to center position.. Both will also have swivels on them. My 2 pesos worth there....

Latest posts