Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Pics Update... DONE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to pick up my 18' 70" floor 90" Beam Crestliner for my project last week..... Wasnt the boat the seller portrayed it to be. Wasnt an 1870 it was am 1860 and beat to ****. Motor shifter was broke and glued back on. Boat was beat up. It had a duck blind on it as well and man was it cobbled together.

The Seller couldnt tell me a thing about the boat, Speed, Draft, if the fishfinder worked, weight, etc...

I figured it was either not his or stolen Hell the MC numbers were a different color than the picture. No one goes from nice cut vinyl letter to crap you piece together from Kmart.....

Guess I keep looking!!! Good luck with your project!

I'm going to get the plywood tomorrow... Need to figure out how the hell to do it, considering I have no pickup.

Had to spend some time on the car, cause the fuel pump went in my jimmy... just replaced it 3 months ago, and 2 months before that. Luckily last time around I got one with a warranty, so I had to spend some time doing that. I made the executive decision to cut an access hole in the cargo area though, because dropping the 50+ pound gas tank every time couldn't be more difficult, especially with gas in it.

Now I need to figure out whats making it go. I replaced the fuel filter last time I changed pumps, so its gotta be some other issue. Or maybe its the cheap japanese made pumps I'm buying, instead of the 350 dollar GM-made one....

Spent a few hours getting my trailer where it needs to be. Stills needs some new bunks, but that can wait until summer.

I ended up having to move the bow stop around, and put the winch under it. Most setups have the winch on top, but I'm really liking it underneath. It really helps to lock the bow down into the bow stop, plus the strap is in more of a straight line, as opposed to "pulleying" off of the rolling bow stop. I'll have to post up some pics tomorrow.

It also moved the boat back a little, so the bunks aren;t exposed when the boat is on them. This way, I'm not hacking off a fish finder transducer, or the soon-to-be trim tabs [-o<

Going to HD tomorrow to get the plywood and the stuff to secure it. The plan is to get most of it cut out tomorrow, put in place, cut hatches, and get a coat of water sealer on it. Then Sunday I'll throw another coat on, and figure out what route I'm going for carpet. Hopefully it ends up being as warm as they say its going to be, because I'm not about to stink up the garage and house again, so it HAS to be done outside this time around....

haha... I sealed my wood outside before I left, then moved them back in the garage a couple hours later - let's just say I'm glad Tiffany is out of town, and I'm out of town because that stain has some strong fumes.

I ended up getting my wood at Lowes.. HD had a lot of warped wood, my guess is from the shotty weather we've been having.

With moving the boat back some, make sure it isnt too much. You want the bunks to support all the way to the transom, if not past it. Having your bunks stick out past the transom is good. Your hull can get a hook in it if not. Just be careful, and make sure your transom is supported on the bunks.

Oh ya, and what is it you ALWAYS say....

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D>

I can't have the bunks extend past the transom.. like I said it will take off a transducer or trim tab.

Got a lot of work done today. Went to HD and got 4 sheets of 19/32" exterior grade pine plywood, for around 20 bucks a sheet. Also got some longer livewell tubing, and some odds and ends.

It was a surprisingly difficult decking job to do. I measured every 6 inches lengthwise, then measured the width of the boat, and got a decent cut.

Looks like I'm going to have to hit the livewell with the grinder, because the lip around it isnt in square. Great craftsmanship, fishmatepro. You guys are worthless.

I redid the bracing for the front storage area and got the plywood cut and it turned out good. I still have to cut the hole for the recessed TM tray, and then it should be ready for watersealing. While that's drying, I'm going to start on the cockpit. If progress is as slow as it was today, the electrical and plumbing will be waiting a while. Plus I can't secure any of the decking until its warm enough to apply nonskid paint to the gunwales.

Hurry up and wait...

Attachments

• IMAG0001.JPG
    IMAG0001.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 871
  • IMAG0003.JPG
    IMAG0003.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 871
  • IMAG0004.JPG
    IMAG0004.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 871
  • IMAG0005.JPG
    IMAG0005.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 871
  • IMAG0006.JPG
    IMAG0006.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 871
  • IMAG0007.JPG
    IMAG0007.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 871
  • IMAG0009.JPG
    IMAG0009.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 871
  • IMAG0008.JPG
    IMAG0008.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 871
The question is....is it level on the trailer or level in the water??? I thought for days on that question, then just decided to wing it. :LOL2: Glad to see some pics. Looks sweet!!!

I want it level on the trailer, because I used the tops of the benches as a reference for level. That way it would atleast appear to be level (or so I thought). I didn't even bother worrying about it being level in the water, because its only going to be a few degrees off, if at all. I can correct that by moving the 3 batteries around.

Nussy said:
The question is....is it level on the trailer or level in the water??? I thought for days on that question, then just decided to wing it. :LOL2: Glad to see some pics. Looks sweet!!!

I agree, or I would say when I do mine I will be concerned with straight rather than level. Level is not always good, I learned that the hard way on a mission trip to appalacia (poorest area in the country) to do a mission project, working on a woman's house. Well we were putting siding on and started at the bottom leveled it up and worked our way up, since the house was not level (I'm talking the rear of the house was ten inches lower than the front, we had all kinds of problems fitting the siding around doors, windows, etc, because they were all crooked with the house.

But looks good, good work, I like your boat a lot; sounds like you got a great deal on it too.

Looks great coming along nice... =D> The fuel pump keeps going out on our chevy 1500 here at work to... 3rd times a charm

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I got up early and threw the second coat of water sealer on the decks before I headed out for the day. Its supposed to be warm all week but quite a bit of rain, so it sounds like I'll be waiting until I can get the boat in the garage for the weekend. I still have quite a bit of cutting to do before I'm ready to put the decks in place, plus I need to run the wiring, make a console, carpet it all, and hook up the livewell... Man this is one heck of a project.. #-o

Latest posts