electric brakes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntinfool

Reaction score
Anyone ever installed electric brakes to an existing trailer? I am thinking about installing electric brakes to my boat trailer as I would like to tow it with mu little geo tracker. I have towed it in the past and pulling it is no problem. But getting it to stop is another issue. Trying to find info online, but there is a lot of info but very little explination of what parts, brand, why for's etc.

Its simple, it is just a backing plate/drum kit, one per wheel.... But, they wont last on a boat trailer... You need to look into surge brakes if your wanting to go that route... They are hydraulic and have an actuator on the tongue..

I've had several trailers with the surge brakes. I was just wondering about the electric ones. Surge brakes require me to replace the hubs with the drum. I'm not sure about the electric, but i don't think I have to. I think I can just add the rotor.

I know that some of the newer Mako and Nitro and every other boat BPS sells has electric brakes on them and they are salt water boats. So i don't see why they would not work.
But only some of them have them. The others have the hydraulic brakes on them.

I found a site I can order all the parts I need for about $100.

Wound up with a deal I could not pass up and put hydralic brakes on the trailer. Now I can stop it with my little Geo Tracker and it still pulls easily. I can get 16mpg in that tracker pulling my boat, so I am very happy about now being able to actually stop it.

Latest posts