Electric drive for alternator

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with thinking outside the box, I do it every day, I have come up with some crazy ideas, I am having one put to use right now to see if it works, It may be a big flop, But my buddy is a machinist and believes in it as well, so there is no cost involved in getting it from cad to product. If it does work, yall will be the first to see it... :)

The thing is that you are not generating extra power,you are recharging the battery.Wtih an automotive charging system,it doesn't so much have to do with horsepower per say,it's about RPM.If you accomplish the required rpm,horsepower is a non-factor.A blower motor will run an auto cooling system(just ask any Drag Racer),why wouldn't it run an alternator?It takes more to run a cooling system than a charging system.

As soon as I aquire the parts.This is a done deal.

S&M - no one is doubting that you can spin the motor - just that with only a 12 volt battery you will generate less power then you draw off the battery - thus you will drain the battery faster then you can charge it.

Think of this while your at it... a 4cylinder motor will generate 6000 rpm, A v8 engine generating 6000 rpm, which do you think will handle more work? A alternator does not just free spin, do a simple test and power it up and see how much harder it turns?

As long as you can turn the alternator It will work. all he is doing is using a small draw from the battery to cause the fan motor to spin at 3000 rpm at that point the alternator will produce the amps to recharge the battery. It will work just like on a drag car. The alternator has three main components: The Stator, Rotor, Diode and a voltage regulator. When the alternator belt or V-belt spins the pulley on the alternator, the rotor inside the alternator spins ... fast. The rotor is basically a magnet or group of magnets that spin, with all that speed, inside a nest of copper wires. These wires are called the stator. The next step in the chain is a diode assembly that changes the electricity from AC to DC current that your battery can use. There is a final step in the chain, the voltage regulator. In modern alternators, this is a built-in component. Back in the day voltage regulators were big black boxes that had to be bolted somewhere under the hood and wired into the system. The voltage regulator is basically a gatekeeper that will shut off the flow of juice to your battery if the voltage goes above a certain level, usually 14.5 volts. This keeps your battery from getting overcharged and cooked. That's it! As your battery is drained, current is allowed to flow back into it from the alternator and the cycle goes on and on.

Nope.. I got a little tiny motor that draws about 1 amp that will spin 3000 rpm.. There is no HP... Electric motors have a hp rating for a reason, And there is no way imaginable a 1/4 hp fan motor is gonna spin even a 50 amp alternator generating a load...

Here is another, Heck i even wasn't thinking about the watts it takes to make the alternator itself work, so there is another factor...

https://www.jettyfishing.com/topics/?topic=17

The alternator tester in my store is just a electric motor with a pulley so I can hook up to the alt. then it mesures the voltage on and off load I still think it will work. It will be interesting if he does build the thing. Im almost tempted to dig through my cores on Monday and build one myself.

Wow. Thanks for all the info guys. Still gonna take a run at it (combination of redneck and coonass heritage so how can I not try something crazy), but if it doesn't work, maybe I'll just use a bicycle chain drive type set up down by the foot of my camp lounge chair. If nothing else, the huffin and puffin should keep the critters freaked out and wary. Jumper cables and budweiser go a long ways down here.

Y'a know, Snakes and Gators cant hear. They feel vibrations though.
So the Weed eater or the 5 hp B&S running the alternator, making all those vibrations while your snoozing aint all that bad of an Idea! :?

nbaffaro said:
I vote that you hook up a chainsaw motor to the alternator. It would sound better than a weed eater.
I agree with that too. Chain Saw's have 'Boss' sound. An all for business attack sound.

You can make a sound proof or limiting cover on the operation too. That way you can catch a Nap while your laying out trying to lure a Carnivour into your camp! :LOL2:

I actually like the idea for a remote camp. If you had the parts, then it would be cheaper than a generator but, if you had to go get them and wire it all up a small honda generator would be a better idea. Then you'd have 120v to power a charger and anything else you'd need.