electric motor for river current

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juniata

Reaction score
Buying a small jon...either 1436 or 1442...considering a bow mount trolling motor I fish the Juniata river here in PA , as well as the north and west branches of the susquehanna, occasionally the main branch.

I have been using a small 12' semi v and currently used a 30 lb thrust and it pushes it up river ok...Any real difference in a small jon? or should i go bigger.

+1

1542. PM me if interested
20151015_111001_zpsu8emuezv.jpg

Jim said:
Agree! I think the biggest you can get 12v is 55lbs thrust?

That's what I'm finding..

Like the original poster, I'm considering stepping up from my current 28# Minn Kota to a bigger trolling motor.. My question is, should I stick with the old standby Minn Kota, or is there something out there that's a better choice??
I'm just using a transom mount and will continue with the same. I'm pushing a 14' vee fishing boat, but some of the water I fish is electric motor only, and I also fish my local river and sometimes it's nice to just slide the motor down and twist the handle, rather than start up my gas motor to move 100 yards.

I've got a couple hundred dollars worth of gift cards to use and can get a nice 55# Minn Kota for only $30 more out of my pocket, but since I haven't bought a trolling motor in a decade or two, I was wondering if there's a better choice out there on the market these days??

Ebay has the haswing front bow mount 55lb which is awesome. But if youre looking for a transom go with a 55lb for sure. Maybe put in 2 deep cycles in series and have an all day event

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I burned up the speeds 1 to 4 out of 5 in less than one year with a 55lb min Kota transom mount on a Lowe 1448T I think that 20" transom flat front needs a 36vt transom mount.

Piece of junk and warning about towing it mounted. Keep it vertical or else the tilt assembly detonates.

Only use transom mount trolling motors for trailer loading. It's more brutal to push a boat then pull it with a bow mount.

I'm selling my 1448T. Located in Stroudsburg PA. It has a 6hp electric start tiller and you can add a bow mount if you're desire. 4 new seats, and titles to both. PM for details.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,232
i used a 43# bow mount for years. never gave me any problems. i did have to replace the deployment cord. i noticed before it broke, thank goodness.

Well, my 55# Minn Kota Max will be arriving at Walmart today.. Between my gift cards, rebate, and I've already sold my old motor to a co-worker for $50, the total cost was $22.78..

Can't wait to change out my plug to make it work in my current system and get that badboy on the water!!!

Thanks to the OP and all that have offered info!!! =D>

Latest posts