Electrolysis

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speyfitter

Reaction score
Hey guys - new member here from the West Coast of Canada. I'm going to be picking up a Lund SSV 16 next year more than likely. I used to have a 14 foot welded aluminum v-boat (up until last year, made by Bruce Cope of Cope boats who no longer makes them) from the early 90's that was built like a tank that had a bracket welded on the transom below the water line for a zinc anode. These welded aluminum boats were built on Vancouver Island and had a cult like following as good small salt water boats believe it or not - very sea worthy for their size. Anyways, now that I'm looking at a Lund I was in the local Lund dealer the other day and asked the question and basically got told that they don't offer such a bracket as an option, and that electrolysis damage isn't covered by warranty. My intended use for the new boat is mainly freshwater with maybe 10 to 20% saltwater use in the Summer during the salmon runs. As I understand it since I'm not moooring the boat, where electronics at a dock can cause all sorts of stray currents, and I'm not using it often in salt water I should probably be ok but I'm wondering if any of you have ever had problems or seen problems with electrolysis and/or made custom brackets for a Zinc anode, OR if you feel the anodes in your motor are more than adequete to protect the boat?

I use my boat(all aluminum) mostly in fresh but do put in saltwater a dozen or so times a year.I don't use any extra zinc anodes,just the anode on the outboard and thats probably magnesium(no good for salt).No ill effects noticed here,boats a 2006 used it since 07.

Not to go off topic, but how can you tell if the anode is magnesium or zinc ? Like the ones that come standard on outboards?

Latest posts