evinrude tiller trouble

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Reaction score
my 80 evinrude 7.5hp throttle control likes to slip off towards the end of the tiller, it takes a while to happen, usually every 2-3 trips. if i catch it in time i can just pop it back down with my hand. the other day i forgot to check it and it had slid about a half inch, not much but enough that it no longer engaged right. i popped it back down and it was fine but my index marks were way off, the ones that show start, shift, etc. i pulled it back off a bit, realigned it and now it's fine. question is what holds that piece in place, i have not tried taking it off as i'm not sure how the cable attaches, and it has a knob on the very end of the tiller for idle +/-. i don't know what that knob does, as my idle mixture knob is on the motor by the pull start. the idle knob on the tiller seems to do nothing when i turn it, but i don't want to break something while trying to take it off. so does anyone know a cause and/or a fix for that piece sliding off. also i don't have a manual, and i am a mechanic so usually i'd just start pulling things apart, but this piece seems like something that i'd like to have a clue about before i start messing with. thanks in advance.

The link below is to BRP parts catalog. Has exploded views and parts list. Click link and in upper left corner choose Evinrude. Then you can choose year, size, then model # of motor. I found the tiller listed under exhaust housing.
I hope this is of some help.

https://12.2.215.22/pub/default.asp?SessionId=8bbfb46005c9462a8798552add757feb&Lang=EN&brands=EJ

Latest posts