Expert please chime in help needed!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spcamno

Reaction score
Found several rivets on the lifting strake leak and need to know how to fix it properly.

I know bucking the existing or replace with new solid rivets is the way to go but has to rip the floor and cut out the foam.

Can I rip the floor, remove the foam on the affected rivets and have some one hold the bucking bar from the inside and I install new or rebuck existing rivets then refill the cut open section with close cell foam or I have to remove all existing foam and re-pour the entire bottom?

Or should I use blind rivets and leave the floor and foam alone?

Any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreicated.

The boat in questions is a 1994 Smokercraft Stiletto single console.

I'd say either approach would be acceptable. I'd probably take the floor out and remove foam, just to make sure there wasn't any other damage (like any cracks to ribs or between rivet holes.) Then just put some foam in it ( poured or block/sheet and reinstall the floor.
But blind rivets should stop the leaks and save you time.

Thanks huntinfool for your post.

Can I remove the foam in the affected area "only" or have to remove all existing foam?

I was thinking on more just cut out that section (I mean foam) replace the rivet and pour what ever it needs to fill it the repaired portion only, will that work?

And if I choose the blind rivet route which type will best for this type of repair?

Thank you

Latest posts