Fall Bassin - October 27, 2007

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ahab

Reaction score
Fished yesterday (10/27/07) afternoon once the rain stopped. The weather turned out to be perfect, very warm and light winds!

Because everything was super muddy from run off (we had lots of heavy rain) we opted to try to carp fish a local pond near my sister-in-law's house. We arrived armed with lots of corn and immediately baited an area in an attempt to get some of the carp to feed - I did see a few carp jumping but they never found the corn with the hooks. Additionally, I suck at carp fishing!

While I was there I, of course, cast a variety of lures for bass with no success. Well, I did manage to hook a goose.

About 30 minutes after we set up a huge flock of Canadian geese arrived, hundreds of these noisy honkers were circling the lake and landing everywhere! I took out a 5' Senko and was casting at the perimeter of where we baited to keep the birds out of the bait. This worked fairly well, they would start to move in and I would cast the Senko and they would move away.

A few days before I found a Sammy style lure that had most of the finish worn off and the hooks rusted out. I replaced the hooks and added it to my bag. I thought, why not use this to scare the geese and maybe attract a bass (this pond has huge LM Bass). On the first cast it worked - the geese panicked , and one flew right into my line, dragging the lure. Well my tackle was not up to the task of landing a large goose (although I have ended some days with the goose egg) the line broke and the goose flew away with the Sammy.

We moved to another, even smaller pond, where the water was not muddy and I immediately landed a bass on one of my hand poured 4" black worms. After I hooked and missed a few others I switched to a small husky jerk (the bass were very interested in chasing things) and landed two more.

While I was unhooking the third fish, it slipped and sunk the rear treble hook in the webbing of my hand between the thumb and index finger. So there I am with the rear hook in my hand (well past the barb) and the front hook still in the fish! My brother in law managed to unhook the fish for me and I spent the next half an hour digging the hooks out of my hand.

Fished until dark after I fixed the hand but nothing more!

Here is one of the bass:

100_6988.jpg

Latest posts