Fastening Carpet to Rubber Mat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
I have a quick question that some of you may be able to help me with.

Instead of laying down plywood for a floor in my boat I have decided to cut some 1/4" rubber mats to size and lay those down on the bottom of the boat. Over these rubber mats I would like to have some carpet; however, I'm not really sure how to attach the carpet to the rubber mat.

Right now my plan is to cut the carpet about 1" beyond the edge of the rubber mat and just fold the carpet over the edges of the mat so it looks nice. But I'm at a loss for how to actually attach the carpet to the mat so it doesn't go flying out of the boat on the highway. The only idea I have is to use some fabric rivets (like the ones used on blue jeans) from a craft store and just put a rivet in each corner. But these rivets are usually brass or nickel plated. Would it be safe to have these rivets in contact with the aluminum bottom of the boat? Do you guys have any other ideas for attaching carpet to a rubber mat?

Thanks!

Latest posts