Favorite Brand Freshwater Reel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite brand freshwater reel?

• Daiwa

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Shimano

Votes: 35 36.8%
  • Quantum

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Browning

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Abu Garcia

Votes: 27 28.4%
  • Mitchell

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Pflueger

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • OTHER

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
ilinimud said:
...but i bet their isnt a forum on the web that Shimano wouldnt be winning this poll on...

For good reason. Shimano's, even the lower end ones (in my experience), will take a beating and keep on going. I've fished reels from just about all major brands (granted not the higher end from all of them) and one by one, they'll mess up on me. I've yet to have a problem with a Shimano.

And I know the post was from March :lol:

I gotta throw one in for the the BPS stuff. I love the Pro Qualifier and the Extreme. My Rick Clunn is real nice too. I think they are really the most bang for the buck.

I am up to 10 diawa's now i got a crazy cranker for Christmas
I also picked up a a pair of used pflueger magnesium spinning reels that are nice

I have Abu 4600's,5000,5500's,5600's,6500's,Seven and 7000's Curado 201's 301's and a few othe shimano's, Diawa's Quantums and Penns.
Favorite spinning is straight up Zebco Cardinals.

love my curado. i can make long cast and not have to thumb it some times. very few birds nest after its been setup right. the brakes inside the side plate does suck a little, but i hardly ever mess w/ it after its been set. only other thing i've used to compare it to is a cheap quantum that my bro n law got. can't figure that one out. hes always fixing the birds nest more than he's fishing.

Why doesn't anyone like Quantum...I see they are only 8% in the poll. I have always had good luck with mine and have held up well.

I've used many spinning reels, and purchased my first baitcaster last season; the Shimano Citica.

Couldn't have been happier with my choice, especially when paired with the Shimano Compre rod. (My avatar)

I had to vote for plueger. I bought my wife the lady plueger combo and it rocks. I told her I was comfortable enough with my manhood to use a pink rod and reel. I have used a lot of different reels and I just cant justify spending the big buckd for a reel. IMO, the revo is overated and overpriced. I have used some $40-$50 reels that performed as good. I like BPS and Academy brand stuff.

I like Abu Garcia reels. I still use the ambassadeur 5500-c3 from 20 years ago. Yes guys i'm old school. :p

stew6371 said:
I had to vote for plueger. I bought my wife the lady plueger combo and it rocks. I told her I was comfortable enough with my manhood to use a pink rod and reel. I have used a lot of different reels and I just cant justify spending the big buckd for a reel. IMO, the revo is overated and overpriced. I have used some $40-$50 reels that performed as good. I like BPS and Academy brand stuff.

I agree with stew6371 (except about the manhood thing using a pink rod/reel :LOL2: )
I have 3 spinning combos and all have pflueger president reels on them. They perform very well for the money. I bought them off ebay new for 53 dollars each shipped. When I looked at baitcasting reels I just couldn't see spending alot of money so I went with BPS pro qualifer and Rick Clunn series (both on sale at 79 dollars each and made by pflueger). I haven't had alot of use with them yet, but from what I did they seem to be a good quality reel for the buck.

This season alone i have had nearly 12 different baitcasters, From 200.00 to 50.00... My favorite is the Browning.. I plan on adding a few Midas Golds to my arsenal this summer..

Bugpac said:
This season alone i have had nearly 12 different baitcasters, From 200.00 to 50.00... My favorite is the Browning.. I plan on adding a few Midas Golds to my arsenal this summer..

Bump to that.. one of the only reels I haven't had an issue with are my brownings. The new ones out are awesome.. hefty drag and low profile

I'm planning on getting the medallion for my frogging set up

I have a curado that I purchased in 96. It replaced a 5500C3 which landed the bass of a lifetime from Lake Fork. To make me lay down the 5500C3 by Garcia, the curado had to be a great reel. Regular cleaning and lubricating has kept it working like new with no need for repairs. If you like another brand of reel, that is fine with me. I like to spend my earnings wisely, that is why I buy Shimano reels. 5 curados and 5 Shimano spinning reels fill most of my needs. Keep'er Wet, Dave

Bugpac said:

How much do these costs?