Finally got a project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny said:
here are a couple of different ways to patch holes - other than welding.

https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42911

Thank you very much Mr. Johnny that is a great idea. Also does the type of epoxy matter? I have to order a lot of rivets i have found many that the head has turned almost to powder. But that will have to wait as it is off to Orlando for me for five days.

no matter what method you choose to go with, ALL the corrosion must be removed and the metal
must be free of all contaminates - down to bare shiny metal. (with a 40 grit rough scratch)
you could use the 30 minute clear epoxy you see at the Big Box Stores.
I patched some holes on the bottom of my tin 18 years ago with the generic twin barrel syringe
type epoxy and they are still holding firm. use the 30 minute type vs the 5 minute so it will have
time to flow out and seek its own level. I know that my time tested method works.
I now use the G-Flex 650 epoxy by West System for small repairs.
I suggest that you turn the boat over to patch the holes using my method.
that way the hull will be smooth and flat on the outside with the small indent will be on the inside.
bring your boat down to Orlando with you and I'll give you a hand with it.
good luck and have a safe trip

and I can really understand the disappointment of rotten rivets !!

G-Flex 650.jpg
30 Epoxy.jpg
epoxy.png

.if you only need a hundred or so, it would probably be best to get them at your local source.
https://www.rivetsonline.com has a good track record with me for quality and service.
mscdirect, fastenal, grainger and mcmaster-carr are also good sources.
there are many good tutorial videos on the good ole YouTube about riveting.

alum rivet 006.JPG
rivets.jpg
rivet kit.jpg
you can order a few solid rivets of different sizes to have on hand
for plugging small holes and whatnot.
you can get a rivet gun or rivet kit from Harbor Freight or any
Big Box Store, ebay, amazon, etc.

a.jpg
b.png
it is a good practice to carry long solid rivets in your arsenal
as they can be easily cut to the desired length with nippers.

Johnny said:
.if you only need a hundred or so, it would probably be best to get them at your local source.
https://www.rivetsonline.com has a good track record with me for quality and service.
mscdirect, fastenal, grainger and mcmaster-carr are also good sources.
there are many good tutorial videos on the good ole YouTube about riveting.

View attachment 4
View attachment 3
View attachment 1
you can order a few solid rivets of different sizes to have on hand
for plugging small holes and whatnot.
you can get a rivet gun or rivet kit from Harbor Freight or any
Big Box Store, ebay, amazon, etc.

View attachment 2
it is a good practice to carry long solid rivets in your arsenal
as they can be easily cut to the desired length with nippers.

Thanks again Mr. Johnny I bought the 17" riveter from harbor freight on my way back from Orlando. Love the storms every afternoon just like home. Also my boat appears to have steel flex along with other caulk on it should it all be stripped off.

So finally got time to strip the old epoxy and caulk and several layers of crap off my boat. Li have noticed that the electrolysis has made the boat turn green in spots as well as pin holes should I treat the aluminum with something before I use coat it.

Attachments

• 75DFD568-D3A1-45E1-89F4-BB69DFE05087.jpeg
    75DFD568-D3A1-45E1-89F4-BB69DFE05087.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 2,392
You're making good progress. I'm in a similar situation. Removed alot of wet foam and now stripping paint.

Well after close to forty hours of paint and whatever else removal from the bottom. I replaced sixty some odd rivets. Then gave her two coats of coat it and two coats of bed liner. Now to let her cure them flip her over and do the inside.

Attachments

• 9DE632C3-A651-4D8E-9D4C-8EE83179801C.jpeg
    9DE632C3-A651-4D8E-9D4C-8EE83179801C.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 324

Latest posts