First Build (1448 Alumacraft) Deck and Seat Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfitz

Reaction score
This is going to be my first mod, this site is great it has given me a lot of ideas, so I was hoping to get some input before I start. I have a 1448 Alumacraft w/ a 15hp Yamaha Four Stroke and I just picked up a motorguide foot controlled trolling motor for the bow, I want to put a deck up front w/ a pedestal seat but I am not sure what size pedestal to get, I want it to be stable but also not low enough where your knees are in your chest, so I was thinking maybe 11, 13, or 15 inch pedestals but like I said this is my first build so I'm not sure which one to get. I also want to put a small deck in the back just for fishing w/ some sort of pedestal set up but I am concerned on the ability to steer the motor when underway. The first pick is the layout of my boat, and the 2nd one finished is a forum member who had the same idea. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 1448.jpg
    1448.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 2,998
  • 1448 Decked.jpg
    1448 Decked.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,998
Notice how there are two extra seat mounts in the rear bench of that boat!! I'm guessing the two seats are easily pulled from the pedestal and installed on the bench while underway. This would allow you to stow the pedestals when motoring from spot to spot, then quickly reinstall them when you get to the fishing hole.

I did notice that, and was wondering why there were 3 and not just 2, also I was wondering what are the differences/benefits between threaded and standard bases and pedestals? I really need to find the size of pedestals I need so that I can order them asap!

nice setup. i have the exact same boat, got mine last june. what size motor are you running. I have a 15hp merc 2 stroke on mine.

2 outside seats are for riding. Center for fishing.

Newbie question. How do you attach the back seat plywood. Meta screws?

Are you planning on decking it from the front all the way to the center bench. I see you have a live well in the center bench, you will need to make some sort of hatch to access that if you do.

I have an alumacraft 1542 and just added to the front deck on mine.https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299 I went back another 2 ribs or so, and used 2x2's like many others on here. You can run 2 of them down the center line and line up one of those seat bases like the ones in the picture you posted.

If your going to run a tiller from the rear bench I would put 2 seat bases in the rear bench. One where you plan to drive from that you can sit low, on and another in the center that you can sit high on when fishing. You can just move the seat to the center post hole when you get where your going with the 15hp.

Reed that boat is nice! I think you just changed my mind, I was going to go all the way to the middle bench, but now I think I'm going to do exactly what you did! You also just showed me how much of a real newbie I am because I didn't even know that was a live well, I thought it was just storage. Besides fishing I will also be crabbing out of this boat, so I will need all of the floor space I can get. Thanks for the help!

Thanks,

I am adding a side console to drive mine from, so I will lose some space but I don't care because I gained the whole rear deck as usable space.

I figure most of the time I will use the area in front of the center bench (between the bench and front deck) for storage of a cooler, decoys, gear, etc. But it will still serve as an extra seat if needed. I bought it with plans of removing the center seat, but couldn't bring myself to cut a brand new boat up once I got it home. Maybe after I get it all beat up this year I will cut it. lol. I wanted the 1442NCS (no center seat) but it was $1400.00 everywhere I went. I got my 1542 for $997.00 at Academy sports.

I think you got a real nice boat. The 1448mv is a nice size stable platform with a good layout. I was really impressed with the sturdiness and quality of my Alumacraft. It's just a riveted jon boat but its every bit as strong as the welded 1650 landau I had back in the early 90's.

Good luck with your build.

I re-sized the pic, here is what she looks like right now.

Attachments

• Smaller Pic 1448.jpg
    Smaller Pic 1448.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,735
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on seat pedestal height, I would like to put some sort of pin setup, one for fishing, and then be able to take the pedestal off for steering for the back.

Oh, also that seat that is on there in the pic is not on there anymore so it is just the small deck up front

I also cut the piece for the face and ordered my seat bases and pedestals, and got the carpet, hopefully I can get some water sealer or paint on the wood tomorrow then start on the carpet, any ideas on what would be best? I know that it is not perfect and is wood, which won't last forever, but for a couple hours of work and less than $100 its not bad for now!

Attachments

• Front Deck.JPG
    Front Deck.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 980
It is looking good! I am planning to do the same to mine, a simple wooden deck extension to last a few seasons until we can aford the expense of aluminum materials. As far as pedestel hights I would get one that is at lesat 13" if you plan on sittint ontop while fishing. If you are like me that will get old quick and you will find the big seat in your way. I opted for a 22"-32" adjustable pedestel and a pro leaning type seat.

Latest posts