first fish finder. need help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainjet

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I am buying my first fish finder. I have no real experience with them so everything is pretty much new to me.

I was about to pull the trigger on a Lowrance Elite-4 CHIRP 83/200 455/800 Combo, but just before I hit purchase, I noticed it said "unit only". So that made me look a little further into what that meant. What I found was that the transducer does not come with it. A surprise to me since I figured everything you need to make it work would be included.

So that brought me into the world of transducers. OMG! Which one do I need?

I have searched enough to know that you need to know where I am fishing and what my needs are. So, I fish mainly inland lakes in the Northern Wisconsin/Southern Michigan area. The lakes would be anything from 15 ft -30-50 ft. I will be mounting this on the transom of the boat. I would like it to be able to use the capabilities of the fish finder listed above.

I see that the transducers vary quite a lot in price and I don't want to buy more than I really need for the depths that I fish. But I also don't want to get something that is less than what I need.

I am trying to buy the best FF I can without getting something way more than I need for the amount of fishing I actually do. I like having GPS on the FF. Color is nice. Charting is not something that I really need and I would not expect that I would ever use.

Can anyone give me advise on which exact transducer I need or set me straight on what I am talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Where are you buying it from? If you buy it from Cabelas it comes with a transducer.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/LOWRANCE-ELITE-CHIRP-COMBO/1938674.uts

hmmm interesting. I was getting it from Bass Pro but I also checked Cabelas and I thought I read it very well looking for the transducer. Apparently I did not read it well enough, at least on the Cabelas site.

Thanks!

Lowrance sells a lot of a-la-carte units for people who want to link stuff together. Always have to read the fine print.

You have to read the ads closely. Happened to me the other day. I was trying to get a price match deal. The salesperson set me straight and I felt like a fool.

Latest posts